2 piece rods hard to put together?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by archer1914, Jun 13, 2007.

1. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    ok heres the problem I go to put my 2 peice together and it does not want to fit that well it all most like its a tad to big or has some thing on it preventing it from going then when I do get it to go it goes it too deep and its a real pain to get it back apart I like the rod is there an easy fix for this never had this problem before with any other rod

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    well if you dont want to return it, can you sand it down a little bit..Would that make it fit better?

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Before putting the rod together, rub the male ferrule on the side of your nose to coat it with oil. When taking it apart, place the rod behind your knees with the ferrules centered between your legs and one hand holding the rod on the outside of each knee, with your knees together. Hold the rod tight and use your knees to force your hands apart. This gives you a straight pull, and more power.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You might also try some dry graphite to help lubricate the sections; just a little dab and rub it on the male connection. You can get a small tube of graphite lock lube at hardware or auto parts stores.:smile2:

5. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana

lol this sounds dirty at first lol sorry i couldnt resist.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    put the female end in ice water for a couple of mins. that will shrink it slightly

7. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That's what I've always done. I only have a couple two piece rods though, most are one piece.

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Rub the ends a little bit with a white candle. This can make it a bit sticky but it will always come loose.

9. CantFish86

CantFish86 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Is there a rubber piece at the male end some have that and tend to expand.

10. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Ky jelly and not the heating kind save that for your better half:big_smile:

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Was this an american spirit rod by chance I just had the same problem see my earlier post. I sent mine back though I didnt want to risk messing up by sanding it down and making it too loose. But you can try and sanding it down use fine sand paper though.

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    try some Ferrule wax.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Not if you wash your nose every once in a while."jtrew" knows his oil along with many other things.I have never seen his advice to be anything but excellent.He has a lot of knowledge based on many years of experience.This is a old fisherman's and mechanics trick that I learned around 1950,and I still do it.The human body makes a fine natural and safe oil that comes to the surface beside your nose.It is always available and works great in the Arctic or the tropics.Sperm whale oil was always hard to get and is even harder to get now.Give it a try.It works great on many things.I even found it handy on nuclear Submarines when I was in the navy.Now you can spend big money on some of the modern miracle oils they have developed to try to do the same thing if you wish.Just don;t hug your child with that oil!I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee ps,it has also lubed Aba Garcia and Penn reel shafts which was shoved back in their bushings and back to fishing.I saw it done.Try it and see.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Phil I did that once to a female and her end did shrink,but the rest of her was mad as hell.:big_smile:You need to be real careful with females particularly if you let them think their ends need to be shrunk.:big_smile::smile2::cool2::tounge_out::eek:oooh:As for the rod,most two piece rods these days are designed to be inserted then rotated 30-60degrees.This locks them in place.Jtrew and Tommy give good if different advice about lubing the ferrules.Dont use wax etc as that picks up dirt and causes abrasion.:big_smile: