2 piece rod vs. 1 piece

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by PWillis, Oct 10, 2007.

1. PWillis

PWillis New Member

State:
    Ninnekah, Oklah
    Just curious on everyones opinion on 2 piece vs. 1 piece rods. I personally prefer the one piece right now but I think I am gonna start liking the 2 piece versions better.

I am driving a tahoe right now and the 2 piece fits better is the only reason right now.

2. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I think that the main difference in the 2 piece and 1 piece is sturdiness. Not saying that the 2 piece will always break. With the exeption of being slammed in a car door I have never seen a one piece break. I have however seen 2 piecer's snap at where the two go together. The last rod a purchased was a ugly tiger and it is a one piece. I am knocking on wood when a say it will never break. I can't really say the same about my two piece rods. I just don't trust them as much. One reason why I sometimes prefer 2 piece rods is like you said for ease of transport. It is much easier to break down a 11' rod than try to haul it on top of my jeep or something.

That's my two.

3. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I prefer a 1 piece rod .

4. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    I have never broken a 1 piece either, but the 2 pieces are just so much more convinient especially when you have to walk through a lot of brush and for packinig them in the car. For me it just depends on where and what I am fishing for.

5. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Phillip the same with me I really wanted a one piece surge rod but I got the fishing bug so bad my rods stay in the back of my s10 extended cab 24-7 and a one piece just wont do it.I did have another member tell me of a custom rod buider who does make 2 piece custom rod and I might be going to them for my next rod.

6. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    1 piece for sure, i always have problems with 2 piece poles.

7. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    the 2 piece are pretty fun to break the silence with..specially when you cast and half your rod goes flying towards the water..makes everyone around you laugh their hind ends off..:smile2:

8. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This happened to me:cool2:

9. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    I always seemed to like 1 piece better, however I mostly use 2 pc rods. In forty years or more of fishing I've only broke one 2 piece rod. Broke it on a 5.7 pound bass it was an ultra lite pole , it broke in the ares closer to the tip.I'm not in the area of Flatheads or blues - catching only channels under 15 pounds. 2 piece been working fine for me.

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive never ever had a problem with 2 piece rods.I bought a 1 piece catmaxx rod and its really nice but it just so inconvienant to carry around and store.Heck it hangs out of my truck bed when i go fishing.I just like the 2 piece because its easier to haul and store,and ive never had one come apart.Thats why you need to do a quick inspection before you go or throw:big_smile:

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    one thing that is always overlooked in these discussions that i think merits thought is the rigidity of the 2 piece at the joint. imo, all rods are going to be more rigid at the eyes, and i have never seen a 2 piece that jointed at an eye....which means that with a 2 piece you add one more area of rigidity, and a much larger one at that. that means a less responsive rod at times...at least that the way it seems to me:big_smile:

and i am sure that 2 piece rods are stronger than they used to be, but to do that the rod has a section where the 2 halves meet that has NO action.....some of you rod builders chime in here...am i close?

12. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    For bass fishing I prefer one piece but for cat fishing 2 is the way to go for the convienence of storing and transporting.:big_smile:

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I like one piece rods, but I fish out of a boat, so I can get away with 6'6" or 7'
    rods. My 7' will fit in the Focus if I'm going in someone else's boat, but they do take up some space:wink: If I bank fished and was carrying around 10' or 12', I'd be a 2 piece guy for sure. I've broken 2 piece rods at the joint, but they were cheap and I was abusing them, so it was me more than the rods. Good Luck!

Branden

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ive always had 2 piecers and never had a problem. they're also easier to transport when you have car instead of a truck & boat to stash them in. I havent busted one yet. atleast not at the joint. Then again I only have channel cats to play with and some of you have fish that honestly need saltwater gear to land.

15. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Read aloud what I write next:

rigidity rigidity rigidity rigidity rigidity

LOL!!

16. mcbluegill

mcbluegill New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with brinley45cal, I bank fish mostly and I think its more convenient to have 2 pc rods.

17. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    1 Pc Fishing poles. It might of just been me abusing them but Mr. Murphy always had visit with my 2 pc poles sooner or later. Even my bait poles are 1 pc poles.

18. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    I really like the custom rods we have here on our site. I just can't get myself to break down and buy a one piece rod. I need to have my rod with me at all times. Not just on a "designated fishing day." I have been unable to give up the convenience of being able to pack a two piece rod.

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to use only one piece rods, but this year I needed longer rods so I bought a couple 2 piece rods..They worked fine and landed 2 flatheads over 40-lbs.

20. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    If using a quality built 2pc rod, it'll take just the same strain as a quality built 1pc rod.
    If using a cheap generic poorly built 2pc rod, it'll take the the same abuse as the cheap generic poorly built 1pc rod.

Nowadays, with the quality of rods being built, it really comes down to preference and ease of transport, as to get a 1pc or a 2pc rod.

:004: