2 piece rod stuck together.

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Nate, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    Anyone have any ideas how to get the rod seperated? It's the kind where the ferrul of the top section fits into the bottom section. I've tried pulling, twisting and putting a drop of oil where they fit together and still cant get it apart.

2. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    thats crazy, you must of pushed that thing in hard. i wish i could help you out but sorry. i thought that oil would work, thats all i can think of.

3. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    you didn't say if metal furrels but you might try pouring hot water over the joint? maby that might swell the outside joint to where it will come apart. :what-big:

4. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    Thats the problem. It went together easily. I pushed the top right in no problem. Then when I checked to make sure the eyes lined up, it wouldn't twist at all.

I think the rubber on the bottom of the top section is acting like a gasket and theres a sort of vaccum seal in there now. It won't budge for nothing.

5. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    If you have access to an air compressor, try using an air gun to blow air down into the joint, if it's in a vacuum that should equalize it. Next would be Kroil, that stuff is like magic, put a little in the joint and wait a half an hour or better yet follow the Kroil with the air gun to force it down into the joint.

6. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I have always found that throwing stuff and cussing alot seems to help me in situations like this. Hope this helps.:cool:

7. Markfishmd

Markfishmd New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I had the same problem recently. And I sprayed the joint with WD-40, and let it run down for a couple of hours. Then used 2 visegrip pliers, turning gently, and it came right apart.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    you might try sliding a very tiny needle in to the "female" end along the side of the "male" end. if there is a vaccum, that would aleviate the problem by allowing air to get in past it. What I have done with quite a bit of success with rods that had been stuck together for many years is to literally SOAK the end that has slid inside, and then wrap it with an Ice pak for an hour or so to get it to condense. Then run warm water over the outter piece while using two pairs of pliers to gently twist. This should allow movement and let you twist it back and forth to get it out.

9. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    take the rod and run it under water for about five minutes this loosen it up if this doesnt work take and snap it over ur knee throw it down and say ha who got the best of who

10. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    And then cuss. :p

11. zebcohobo202

zebcohobo202 New Member

lay your rod on a table on top of a towel. Place a handful of ice over the joint. Let it sit a minute then pick it up grabbing the female end tightly in your hand and squeeze. Your body heat on the cold rod will cause the female end to expand enough to pull the male end out. Try it it works!

12. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    I finally got it. I ended up drilling a small hole in the hard rubber end butt on the handle and shooting a chit load of WD-40 in there. Then I let it sit upside down for an hour or so. Grabbed the top section right at the joint with a pair of pliers and twisted the bottom section and it slowly came apart.

Only real damage are 2 small spots where the paint came off from the pliers. A little touch p paint will fix that. I took some emery cloth and ran it along the inside of the female part and the outside of the male part. it goes together and comes apart easier now, but is still snug.

You'd be proud BullDaddy, I cussed the whole time! ;)

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    GREAT!!! I'm glad you were able to get it apart. Just goes to show what a little perserverance can do for ya! :)

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    And a few cuss words... lol

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Here's the technique I was taught to separate a two-piece rod when it doesn't want to come apart. Stand with your feet & knees together; it's ok if you have your knees bent. Put the rod behind your knees with the ferrule more or less evenly situated between. Hold the rod firmly with both hands, one alongside the outside of each knee. Now, spread your knees apart without letting your hands slip on the rod. This puts a straighter pull on the ferrule than trying to pull it apart with just your hands, as well as putting maximum pressure on it.
    Another oldtimer's trick is to rub the male section of the ferrule against the side of your nose before putting the two pieces of the ferrule together. This puts a very light coat of oil on the ferrule so that it comes apart more easily.

16. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I heard that when I was younger. Never had a rod get stuck like that yet. But will keep that in mind.

17. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    jtrew's method is the first thing I try and it has always worked except one time for a really old rod that refused to come apart. For the really stubborn two piece rods I use two pair of vise-grips and two jar openers, the jar openers are round rubber with grip dots on the bottom of them. I wrap one around the top piece of the rod and one around the bottom part as tight as possible with vise-grips locking them on. Twist your vise-grips in opposite directions and it will come apart and no scratches to your rod. Abu

18. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Jtrew and Abu have some good advice but the best advice is to make sure that you keep the joints clean and you store the bottom part up side down after washing it to keep the water out as it will cause a suction effect as it dries in the heat making rod stick.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    a mechanic thought me a trick once on a pool cue that wouldn't come apart. i was red in the face (and cussing) :cursing: trying to uncscrew it. he said let me see it. he took it and instead of applying steady pressure like i was but he did hard pops on it. came apart. he didn't even cuss. he said it is like a stuck nut or bolt. snapping it over and over will pop it loose better than just leaning into it. this worked for me on a 9' night stick that stuck togather. i rubbed it with some light sandpaper after i got it apart. then traded it and a penn roddy for a delta diamond plated tool box.

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    a mechanic thought me a trick once on a pool cue that wouldn't come apart. i was red in the face (and cussing) :cursing: trying to uncscrew it. he said let me see it. he took it and instead of applying steady pressure like i was but he did hard pops on it. came apart. he didn't even cuss. he said it is like a stuck nut or bolt. snapping it over and over will pop it loose better than just leaning into it. this worked for me on a 9' night stick that stuck togather. i rubbed it with some light sandpaper after i got it apart. then traded it and a penn roddy for a delta diamond plated tool box. im like a few of ya though. tossing stuff and cussing helps me cope too. :mad: