2 piece or 1

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by allflats, Jun 3, 2008.

1. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was thinking of getting a new rod later and was wondering if you guys have 2 piece rods or 1 piece rods.I have several different rods and they are all 2 piece. Silstar,South bend and Eagle claw 8 to 10 foot. Havent had any problems with any of them was just wondering what your thoughts are on rods.The South bend rod is what i have caught my best 39 lb flat on with no problems.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    2 piece rods are very convenient and a quality rod should give you no problems. 1 piece rods are more sensitive and offer piece of mind. I have some of both. My Dads rod, which I dont use because he passed away and it is irreplaceable, is a 14' Fenwick 1 piece. He always said he could " feel a knat dancin on the end of it".LOL. It has a lot of backbone and was mainly used in Tailwater fishing. Although he pretty much used it everywhere he fished. Its pulled in its share of blues over 50. Id prefer 1 pieces but in some situations it not very practical.

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I HAVE BOTH 1 AND 2 PC. RODS HAVE NOT LOST ANY BIG FISH YET, GOOD LUCK , THIS IS ONE OF THEM ? ASK FIFTY PEPOLE AND GET FIFTY DIFFERENT ANSWER'S WHY ONE IS BETTER THEN THE OTHER:big_smile:

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Personally i prefer one piece rods. I think you have better feeling with them.

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    1 piece rods in either e glass or s glass are the toughest in my opinion. there are a couple of rod guys on here who have nice rods for sale. one is catfishsafari and the other is black and blue rods. i own several shakesper rods that are 1 piece. my favorites are the tiger rods in medium action. if i had all the dough i could spend all my catfish rods would be lamiglass.

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've got both, and I prefer the 1 piece rods for strength and sensitivity, and also due to the fact that you don't have to worry about the guides getting out of line with each other because of the tip section twisting around.

Having said that, I'll go on the record and say that I've never broken a two piece rod of any kind, but I've had several 1 piece rods break at the tip, the middle, or the grip. :eek:oooh:

I also have a Ford F150 and a minivan, so transporting longer 1 piece rods isn't an issue for me. If I had a car or some other vehicle where space is confined, I'd use 2 piece rods exclusively, and as long as it's a quality rod, I'd have no worries about it taking some serious stress.

7. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    After slamming a one piece in a car door years ago, I am a 2 piece man... Easier to transport and store, and have worked very well for me over the years...

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I've fished with 2pc rods all my life until I bought a Fenwick offshore sea hawk 7-yrs back and I only used it rigged for flathead fishing.Otherwise its 2pc all the way easy to transport and all are customs, except for the Fenwick.

Sensitivity was mentioned, Well I have to say I build , which was a 1Pc redesigned into a 2Pc for me last year;Just for the traveling fisherman. Its a Saltwater Big Game 8'6" B85MegaMag Hvy Blank from Graphite USA( hastings Rod manufacturing )That weighs only 5.32oz and you can feel a bluegill swimming on the other end. It has a moderate fast to Fast Tip and can drag anything up from the deep.IMHO it feels and fish's as a solid stick.I posted a thread in rod review under/ My Sons Rod / there you will find a testimony from another builder I copied and posted that builds the same stick and catches 12-18+lb bass with it on a regular basis,,But I have to say its as strong as any 1pc I've seen,I hooked it up to my buck stove and tried to lift it off the floor!..lol:smile2: I didn't get the stove to move, But I almost had the tip touching the reel seat and I really couldn't tell you the lbs of pressure I had on it, But its still together and I believe you could pull a truck with the thing:wink: Either way you go ,If you like what you get ,go for it and FISH HARD Bro....

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Mine are all 2 piece not by choice but not having a truck or boat I have no choice. This year is the first year I broke a 2-piece rod. It was about 8 years old and had pulled in many teens and 20lb Cats and my PB of 33.5lb Flattie was on it. If I can ever get a truck or a boat I plan on investing in a couple 1 piece rods. It all boils down to personal preference.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It Depends on what size it is, for 5' and 6'6'' Rods, I like one piece and for longer rods I like two peice.

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    So far, no one has mentioned those 7.5' 2 -piece telescoping rods.

I have two...a Berkley E-Cat, and a Quantum flippin' stick. They are very handy, and so far as I can tell, wicked strong.

12. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Those "Flippin' Sticks" that telescope are great rods for the traveling fisherman, and for everyone else for that matter. I use them all the time for live baiting for bass and just fishing in general. I'm a big bait guy, whether it's live, cut, or artificial. So I use heavier actions for my general fishing and those bass flippin sticks are some the best all purpose rods you can get, IMHO.

13. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Yes, that is correct! I also use 3 piece rods for Catfish/Surf fishing. Most of my rods I use for catfishing are 2 piece and are 10/11ft. in length. I do not have an issue with a 2 piece rod and have NEVER broken one while fishing. The 1 piece rods that I own are for boat fishing and this is salt water primarily. I have and still own a Telescoping rod that is 14ft. long and it is a very sturdy piece of gear. It has brought in Carp to 26lb. without any problem at all. I have not used it for many years, but would trust it even today. For transportation sake, the Tele is the Best, followed by the 2/3 piece and finally the 1 piece. My 1 piece rods rang from 6ft. to 8 ft. in length. My 2/3 piece rods range from 4ft. to 6 1/2ft. in length. My Tele is 4ft. long and has traveled with me on numerous plane trips. It is a matter of choice rather than the idea that a 1 Piece is Stronger than a 2/3 piece rod. The Quality of the rods that are available today makes the choices much more difficult. Buy what you feel will provide you with the service that you need. JMHO!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

14. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I have both 1 & 2 piece rods. When I am fishing in my boat I use 1 piece rods but when I am fishing from the banks I usually go in my car and then it is 2 piece rods. I like the both.

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i like both, but the one piece seems more sensitive. my 2 piece is a berkley reflex, have caught fish to 85 pounds on it, no problem. i would say whatever is the better deal and works with you!

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    All my rods except one are 1 pc, 5'-7' long. The rod length I like depends on the situation.

I have a zebco oceanside that is 7.5' long, it is a 2 pc. It was given to me, and a reel that was given to me also for it. I've used it but not caught anything on it yet. I've used 7'5' rods that were 1 pc but being 2 pc is really nice to transport.

I got to see some nice rods couple days ago, under 200 bucks. They come in different strengths, but are really strong.

17. TexDan

TexDan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I used to be a one piece only sort of guy for any sort of fishing where I might hook a fish that would require some real backbone to turn. That was a long time ago. My wife, bless her sweet soul, bought me a Diawa mini-spin travel set-up and it changed my views. I’m old so my views of two piece rods came from the old metal ferrule type rods. This little 5 piece rod was of the “new” all graphite/glass sort of slip together joints that are the way all multiple piece rods are now. I caught EVERYTHING with that little ultralite rod, up to and including a bunch of rat redfish up to 10 pounds. In the end it was the handle that gave up and not the rod. Since then I use almost totally 2 or 3 piece rods for my catfish and never have been failed by one at the joint. This allows me to use longer rods and that has been nice too. Any rod over 7’ that you can’t break down is a pain. I like one piece boat rods at 6’6” or the flipping stick type rods but over that I want it to break down. I can’t break my 2 piece 7’ ugly stick and even my south bend cheepos are tough as nails and they are all two piece. My 14’ and 15’ 3lb carp rods are three piece and they are tough as heck as well. I suspect that the bias against the two piece rods goes back to what we heard from older fishermen that had trouble with the old style rods. You know how it is. My Dad said they were weak so that ends the discussion.

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I went fishing early today, and then stopped to do some shopping in town. As I was locking up about $800 worth of two piece rods (and reels) in the cab of the truck, I thought of this thread.

As the ad says, "Priceless."

19. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    My one piece rods ran from a 20 inch ice fishing to a old 14 foot Surf Rod.Both had their place in my fishing and I don't Ice Fish.I had 2 piece 5 foot 7 inch to 3 piece 16 foot Crappie rods.I had a Cabalas 5 piece 14 foot MH 12-30 lb.test telescoping rod.I had the complete set of the Bn'M Slow Troller telescoping rods/poles from the 3 piece 10 foot up to the 6 piece 20 foot.I had a set of heavy duty High Tech Shooting Star from 14 foot up to the 6 section 20 foot rod/pole.I have my original leather wrapped Lew's Bream Buster & Zebco Slab Seekers.Telescoping fiberglass fishing poles 10 ft to 20 ft.They all had their place and uses.

I fished from boats,bank and trees.I crawled out on the planks & steel under our old wood and steel Bridges.Railroad Trestles.Piers,Jetties,Beach and Shell Rakes.I fished across and in Log Jams.I owned and fished with 8 different boats.I had a boat for coastal offshore to poling the Gator trails to the Gator holes.I had rods for each.I had 50 years to collect all of this.

I may be old,crippled and housebound now,but by golly I fished!I fished for Wahoo & the Jacks off the Georgia cost to the little Horny Heads in East Tn.streams.

The above is what I base my opinion on.

Their ain't a perfect rod.What meets your needs or more important,what you can afford and want.Rods are for the most part better now than they ever were.There are few types of fishing where you need the "sensitivity" so many talk about.I do believe for many,it is mostly in their mind.Catfish can't/don't gnaw corn through a picket fence like a saltwater Sheepshead.Very seldom do they "mouth" a worm like a bass.

A two piece can not be made as good as a one piece all else being equal.The average fisherman can't tell the difference in action with or without a blindfold.It will affect the power but unless it is a slow action,the action will be above the joint.Think about it.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

20. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    one peice is about all i own an have ownd since i can remember all are fenwicks or lamiglass i do how ever own 3 2pc 1pc break away stingers one of witch was a good friend of mines competition rod the breakaways are the only 2 pc rods i will own everything else u find is to heavy as far as the weight of the blank only down fall to 1 pc rods is as stated there a pain in the ass to haul at times but if u can there worth it all my one peice rods except for my shark rod is 14-15 foot all will throw 8 oz with a big shad head or live perch hope this helps in ur decicion