2-piece back-up?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Vekta, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    The issue of car space comes up from time-to-time and I was wondering what my choices are regarding 2-piece rods. I know about Shakespeare rods but that's about the only 2-piece rods I know about.

Some rods are better than others so I thought I'd tap into the user based knowledge here. If I was to look for a two-piece rod which brands should I look at? Strength would be my favored attribute for this decision.

It would be used mostly for catfish and whatever I can hook into in fresh water, but would no doubt see some ocean duty off a pier at a whim.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    For casting rods, there are the Ugly Stik Tiger 7' Medium 2 piece, and the Cabelas Whuppin' Stick Salt 7' 2 piece. These are both very good, strong rods that I own, purchased for transportability. Either one would easily handle fish over 50lbs. I've used the 2 piece off a pier in Florida, but didn't catch anything to really test its limits.

3. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    I'll might break down and get one. I'm not a fan of two -pieces or hollow rods but it might be worth at least looking into. Thanks.

Anyone know of any other brands uncommon or otherwise?

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    The Berkley Glow sticks are 2 piece.

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Id agree with the
    Whuppin Sticks, and the Berkeley Glow sticks, There are others and, My thought would be to stay with a name brand,,,You get what you pay for!!

I've had some "other" stuff just come apart,,reels and rods..:sad2:

6. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    Berkley Glowsticks are great
    8ft Ugly stick catfish great rod
    American Spirit Nite stick is good to.

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK

I also have two Ugly Stick Tiger's two piece rods. There a very strong rod and have landed plenty of big fish including snagging spoonbill up to 85 pounds in heavy current. There in my car or truck at all times whenever the chance to drive by a Oklahoma Dam and kill a little time.

8. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    I had a Daiwa Eliminator 8' 2 pc that was tough, and reasonably priced, used it on the pier.

Tica makes some good saltwater rods, I have a couple. And of course Penn makes some 2 pc saltwater rods as well, like the Slammer, or Power Stick.