2 New Channel Catfish PBs in One Night!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Sandy Meador, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    Went out Sat PM/Sun AM for a night of fishing. Sun was my b'day so I figured fishing w/my Lab. Retriever Jewel was about as good as it could get. I decided it was a strictly catch & release night so no livewell or cooler! Got out at 7:30 and caught enough bait for the night. Went to one of my favorite spots and did OK, nothing to brag about. Decided to move to another good spot and it too was spotty. I decided to move around w/the fish finder going and explore some. I found a point that went from 19' up to 16' then up to 12' or so and then gradually sloping up to the shoreline. Figured this was a good place for the channels to hang out in hot daylight and then run up the dropoffs to the shallows at night. Well, to cut the story short - I was correct! I got a PB of 6 lbs. 6 ozs.!!! I was on cloud nine! Then it got better. I caught a couple more and then the big rod took off. I knew it was a big fish cause I had baited it with a huge bream head. When the rod loaded and I began reeling the fish just took off - drag screaming! Man, what power this fish had! I was shaking and all I kept saying to myself was "don't loose this fish"! Finally I got it to the boat and netted it. It was the biggest catfish I'd ever seen on my line! 30" and 10 lbs. 4 ozs.!!!! I almost kept it, but I couldn't kill such a fighter! I revived it and watched it swim back into the lake. I was whooping and hollering - my dog thought I had gone crazy! Man, what a b'day present! And to top it off I saw 3 shooting stars too.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on a fine cat! AND THE BEST IS YOU LET IT GO!

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations Sandy on the two pb's. Sounds like a pretty good birthday present. I was out Friday Night / Saturday morning fishing with Big Sam and we done pretty good and also seen a shooting star that night to.

4. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    where were u fishing?

5. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congratulations Sandy!! Sounds like you had a really great b-day!! Reps for the c&r!!

6. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for the fine words! I was fishing on Sandy River Resevoir over here near Farmville.

7. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Sounds like a heck of a night!!! Congrats on the PB's.

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    nice catch......hope you had a good birthday

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats brother, awesome that you released em to fight another day. Rep to ya brother.

10. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    happy bithday and congrats on the fish sound like you had a blast

11. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey what more could you ask for sounds like you had a good nite

12. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Happy Birthday sandy.Now thats what I call a Good B-day Present Big Catfish!!! J.D.straka

13. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Congrats on the new PB and happy birthday

14. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Way to go pal , it is fun to see a good one come up.
    Brian