2 lessons learned today

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by loki1982, Jun 26, 2006.

1. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well last night my dad and I went to bait some line and to do alittle crappie fishing. We start out by some crappie house throwing my cast net for shad. We see a few people bank fishing and we avoid throwing our net anywhere near them out of respect. We are about 100-150 feet out form the bank adjacent to some people fishing between 2 crappie house. I throw my net and one of the guys starts cuzzing me out. Apparently his bait was about where we were. He had cast at a really wierd angle and over a log, which is why I was sure there was no way we would be disturbing his fishing. I apologized and we left the area, but it got me thinking about how many times ive been pissed at someone driveing over my lines, throwing there nets, or swimming, and it hit me that maybe this people arnt being a-holes, they just make a mistake like I did. Im probably one of the most pissed off people when someone starts doing that where I fish, so I try my best to respect other peoples space as well.

The second revelation that occur last night involved a jugline. About 3 months ago I put out 5 jugs, and came back and could only find 4. The one that was missing was in a different spot than the rest so I chalked it up and someone stealing the jug. We use a 2 litre bottle and a cinder block and have never had a fish move our jugs. Well our lake went down about 3 foot over the last couple of months. Last night we found our jug. It was in the exact same spot we left it. It was algea covered but other than that in great shape. What had happened was it appears a large fish(big enough to take the jug completely under and hold it) got on the second hook swam down about 5 foot and tangled the line so that the jug was hung about 3 foot under the surface. Again my intial impression was that someone stole my jug.

Overall we caught no fish last night, we had 15 or so hooks out with live perch and live 5-7 inch shad on jugs, and we jigged around the lights for about 2 hours and got nothing. But I learned some lessons in the process.

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks. Very helpful and informative.

Also, big of you to admit to a couple of mistakes.

Thinking about a solution to your jug problem? How about a short extra piece of line with a small float - could even just ba a bit of nylon line (5 feet or so) and a fishing float. Or maybe it doesn' t happen often enough to be worth worrying over...

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thats a good idea. Yeah this is the only jug we have lost(now recovered) in several years of fishing with them.

4. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    i had a large flathead take a 5 quart jug under once. It didn't stay down too long but it surprised me how it just disappeared when we pulled the boat up to it.