2 hour old Lab puppies

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Shimano_cat, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Christie and I are trying our hand at breeding Labradors. We currently have 2 females and one male. Just had the first litter this morning although it was only 2 it was the females 1st litter so that may be a good thing. Just wanted to share a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

2. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Precious...look like some good pups!

3. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    Congrats on the litter. I raise a few pups now and then, usually about 2 litters a year, and really enjoy puppies. Its not uncommon for 1st litters to be small, so I wouldn't worry about that. Hopefully she will be a great mama for them.

You may well have more experience with this than me, so I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, just wanting to help if I can. I noticed the shavings in the box with her, what I and most breeders I know do is to remove any straw or cedar shavings from the whelping box. Often times there is no issues, but the small material can be a choke hazard for young pups. I only know of a few cases of pups actually choking to death, but like to do anything I can to prevent losing even 1. In warm weather like it is now, no bedding is needed, and it will actually be easier for her to clean up after them right now without any bedding.

Good luck.

4. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    You're not stepping on any toes at all and I appreciate the advice as I am very new to this. I'm gonna head outside when Christie gets home from work and clean out the box. Any advice is very welcome.

5. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR

No problem. I'm no expert, and still have lots to learn myself, just trying to help if possible.

If you guys really want some type of bedding in there for some reason, carpet scraps work pretty well as long as it is a short pile, no long shaggy stuff. It will get soaked though and need to be changed out, not worth the hassel in my opinion. Anything the puppies can get under, wrapped up in (like a towel) or swallow is just a potential danger in my opinion, think of them like an infant. In warm weather I don't put anything in the box, mama will keep them warm. In cold weather, I still don't use bedding, but instead a heated plastic whelping mat. Not sure where you have her, or your temperatures there, but heat may be your biggest hurdle with summer time pups.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Wesley, not trying to be a wet blanket here, but i have some advice for you: drown 'em while you can and tell your wife someone stole them:eek:oooh:

next pic they look like will be like #1

then they look like pic #2, blocking the a/c vent and hogging all the good air:confused2:

and THEN, you lose your favorite chair and your wife tells you to shut up and like it!!! (see pic 3) :embarassed::smile2:

Attached Files:

7. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Good advice Phil! We already have the 3 Labs doing that anyway plus the Rotty that thinks she's in charge of everything. So, I don't guess 2 more little ones will be too bad. Love the pics by the way.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I will say that breeding dogs is a fulfilling experience, and we used to make a pile of money doing so. I bred dogs of many breeds for nearly 50 years. That said, when the economy collapsed, so did the dog business. I wish you the best of luck getting them placed. One tip is to try and have them all placed BEFORE weaning them. They grow VERY FAST, and if not planned out right, before you know it, you have a yard full of half grown dogs. Considering feed, shots, wormers, flea/tick protection, heart worm protection, a daily exercise regime, It can get into your pocketbook quick, AND take an enormous amount of your time.

Bill in SC

9. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks for the post Bill. We have 4 adult dogs that we have owned for awhile and very much a part of our lives. We're not really looking to make any money doing this so to say, more for the fun of it. We don't have any kids and enjoy taking the time with the dogs. These 2 are spoken for already by some of our family members.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <These 2 are spoken for already by some of our family members.>

EXCELLENT!

BB in SC

11. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :big_smile:absolutely adorable:big_smile:

12. MsMixalot

MsMixalot New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The puppies are so adorable!! My best friend used to raise goldens. Just wait til ya have about 12 or 13 in a litter!LOL :smile2: I wouldn't be good a dog breeder cause I would want to keep em all! :big_smile:

13. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    thats so funny,mine does the same thing

14. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Beautiful momma an pups. Thanks for sharing the pics to all of us here!