2 hour drive, new place one big carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by mcwrestler, May 10, 2008.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I plan on leaving the area I call home in less than a week to have a change of scenery. I look at the calendar and time has just flown. I had told a carp angling friend of mine that I would make my way down to see him this may. I contact him on Wed and just so happens he was doing an overnight session Friday which worked with my schedule.

So Thursday I gas up, buy many boxes of grits and pack the car. After 3 classes Friday that seemed to last forever I started the 120 mile drive to the fishing spot. Upon arriving I helped bait up and we cast our rods. And waited, and waited. This spot is not known for high numbers of fish but has given up some huge ones, if you consider 44lbs huge and 30's are rather common.

One 19lb fish came to the bank in the first 6 hours, then I left to bring back some dinner. While I was gone the guys I was fishing with chatted with some cops that came by interested, while they were talking to the cops some other people made off with my catfish rod that was a little further away :0a9:. No one to fault here but the petty theifs. I thought it was a joke at first but it was really gone. While thinking about the stolen rod my non-stolen rod had a slow steady run. I set the hook and all of the sudden line tore off at high rates of speed. In the end it was a slow steady tug of war as it plodded along the bottom not tiring. Possibly the strongest fish I have ever hooked into, out my 40lb flattie to shame, only my 34lb carp held a candle to this brute. I did not know what to expect, was it a 30lber, 40s have been caught 6 times here so would I join the 40lb club.

Once I saw the mouth we all knew it was a large fish. Turns out it only weighed 27lbs 6oz but will not hear me complaining. This was a large male, but we were hoping a spawn laden female would wadlle her high 30lb/40lb butt in but it never happened. My fish was one of onle 4 in the 20 hour period and the largest by 10lbs. Interesting fact, somehow it picked up and ran with it but when I set the hook it spit it, only to hook onto the fishes stomach, but barely hooked. Had I ever let the pressure off it was fish gone.

BTW, it was caught on Strawberry/Banana Grits pack.

Attached Files:

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    that's a big ol carp! are you sure a cat didn't pull your pole in? last spring i thought someone had stolen my rod, then found out a big spoonbill took it in! a guy down from me reeled up my line and i pulled my rod in, then the fish!

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Sounds like a fun trip. Sorry for the stolen rod, that sucks.

4. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am sure, although I would like to think the bait I was trying found a cat taht big. It was in a spiral holder and had drag loose. The holder would have went with it, at least of disturbed the dirt around it too.

5. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Also forgot to mention we caught 2 blue herrons in our line (think that is the correct term for the blueish bird with dagger beaks:smile2:). I was apparently the "volunteer" to approach our sharp beaked avian friend. I am sure if Wildlife patrol had came up we were goners! As I approached the bird from behind crouched with knife in hand while one guy held the rod and the other spotlighted it. Bird flu was the ;east of my worries when I set eyes on the beak.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice Carp.

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    nice one dude!did he come off of the tf grit pack?

8. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It cane on grits pack but not tutti frutti flavor. I was messing around and added one cap strawberry ice cream and 1 cap banana ice cream. As you can see I was impressed with the results. I plan on doing some more flavor combos in the near future while using plain boiled field corn as the hook bait.

9. cat f i s h

cat f i s h New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What is "grits Pack"?

10. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I made a post called The How tos of Grits pack, it is a few down the list. You can bymp it up if you want, it may end up in the library.

11. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    NIce carp brad. Sorry about your rod. Dont worry man, Good things will come later because of this loss. You may catch the world record carp or cat one day.