2- Hook rigs

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by oahegw, Nov 19, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota

I see that wild wolf products have some sweet looking Two-Hook rigs for sale. In the winter time I use a Two-Hook rig for Northern pike, commonly called a quick strike rig.

My question is: Have any of you guys used this on catfish? If so, What size hooks do you like and any other tips that you'd care to share.

2. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am lucky to get a one hook carolina rig back in. I only fish the Mississippi from the bank and have to deal with strong currents, rocks and misc debris of all kinds. A two hook rig would be nice, but not very good idea for me. Plus could you imagine how hard it would be to pull in a #60 blue on one hook and a #65 blue on the other hook. Good luck.

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    they can be good on short biteing fish . they are easy to tie . jmo

4. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    There's no need to use a two hook rig for catfish. A single circle hook is the way to go...no gut hooks that way. A quick strike rig is a good idea for pike because pike have a habit of grabbing the bait and running a short distance before turning it and swallowing it. A quick strike allows you to set the hook immediately, no waiting. A catfish usually grabs the bait and swallows, almost right away. No need for the extra hooks that get in the way of unhooking an unhappy fish.

Tight lines.

5. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i saw where one of our boc brothers in africa uses the two hook rig. runs one threw the nostril and the other threw the tail using talopia for bait. i dont know how he ties his rig. i am going to try it tommorrow in the tourney on one of my rods. thought i would have a 24in leader with one 4/0 circle about 8 inches up from the other. tie both with palomar knots. will let you know how it goes. i think two leaders would tangle too bad. got to check with tourney rules first!

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    We call them " stinger Hooks " where I live. Cat and Striper guys both use them. We don't use them often but certain times of the year it seems the cats will short strike baits a lot, sometimes even around angry male spawners. Using a Stinger helps when this happens. Striper guys are using them atm with gizzard shad because the Stripers are hitting short and just killing the gizzard or because the bait is so huge.

I myself only use them while Slinky weight drift fishing but I use a Circle 5/0 up front and a 3/0 on the back. Bigger baits will need bigger hooks etc but the stinger hook is always the smaller hook.

I hook the front big hook in the nose or up through the mouth out the nose or through the eyes. The Stinger hook goes in the dorsal or back towards the tail more.

No certain way, just whatever it takes for what bait your using. The distance of the stinger line just depends on what size bait your using. A BlueBack doesn't need as long as of a stinger line/hooks size than say a lager Gizzard needs.

I haven't seen their product in person yet but I'm sure they are good and worth buying if it interests you, they also have the good slinky weights I use too ; )~

-Jim-

btw, I snell both my hooks on the same leader line.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I agree, good point. But drift fishing doesnt produce gut hooks ,just anchor fishing or off the bank.

8. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    at different times when i've been flatting the fish will chew the bait about half way and spit it out. i heard it is instinct to feed even when they are not hungry. i hook in the dorsil and they never make it to the hook so i'm gonna try a hook on both ends and see if it improves my hook up ratio.

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Double the hooks,double the snags!:sad2:

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i use a quick set rig only when i am fishing extremely large baits... i use it with two large J or Kahle hooks, not circle hooks. i dont think circles work well with this system, because of the way a circle hooks set themselves. i do have a buddy that uses a large circle in the front and a kahle in the back, but to me, how can you tell if you should jerk or just reel down on the fish. i prefer to take the guess work out and just cross their eyes. maybe due to me learning this from fishing for muskie this way using large suckers/carp for bait.