2 hook rigs?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CatHunterSteve, Jul 11, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Do you ever use a 2 hook rig and if so under what circumstances would you decide to go with a 2 hook rig rather than a single hook? Would that be your primary choice or as a reaction to say missing several fish?

2. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    This year I fish a 2 hook rig everytime I fish. I just snell a hook on then snell another on 4-6 inches above the other. Comes in real handy for using giant pieces of skipjack and works good with 2 separate baits also, live or cut. If you miss on the first bite you get a second chance.

3. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I use one all the time unless I'm using live bait. I tie a leader similar to the 2 or 3 drop rigs you buy for pier fishing, but I put my weight above the leader and a hook where the weight or the next swivel would go on the pier leaders. I make one leader about twice as long as the other. I really like using it for two different baits, especially if I'm trying out a new bait. I still use it if I happen to be using only one bait, which usually only happens if one bait seems to be dominating the others.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    dont need 2 hooks imo. maybe you were into some gar bro.? out of all the fish species i fish for flats are the easiest to hook. try smaller gills too, flats dont care if bait is 3 or 9 inches.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Theres always a 2 hook rig in my rods, as with big baits fish will short strike a bait at times. That second hook turns that short strike into a fish. Use them with live bait or cut bait.
    Pete

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I agree, No telling how many bluegills I've pulled in after a strike that was nearly bit in half.

That second hook would have got him evertime IMHO.

I beleive my quota would be doubled if I would have caught them all..:embarassed::eek:oooh::crazy:

7. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have used them in the past, usually snelled hooks, 4 inches apart. I use them when the fish are not hitting all that hard, just hit and then drop. I have yet to land any fish on the bottom hook, perhaps it just adds some extra confidence.:eek:oooh:

8. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    The only time I use tem is when im shark fishing.

9. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    A buddy of mine once caught 2 cats simultaneously on a 2 hook rig.

10. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use two for channels, one for flats!!

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

IMO.Double the hooks,double the amount of hangups.I fish 90% of the time around heavy cover,if the fish are a little tenative,I give em a couple extra seconds before I set the hook.I leave enough tackle on the bottom of the river as it is!:wink:

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I will say 60% of mine are on the bottom hook. But that is blues most of the time also.
    Pete

13. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I've done that multiple times - that can be a fight if they have any size to them. I've even had times when I would hook one of those you don't even know is on there, and then hook a keeper, and pull in both.

I've also had experiences where it seems they must take the bait from one hook and don't get hooked, then a while later one gets the other hook. No guarantee it's the same one but it's nice to think it is.

14. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota