2 Hammers in Lake Moultrie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rivercatsc, May 18, 2007.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Went to lower lake on tuesday afternoon and got 2 biguns. We were in cross out of Johnstons campground. I hope you like these pics.

Attached Files:

2. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    How much did they weigh

3. Skipper

Skipper New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Good catch. I bet they'll be good to eat.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    those are some ugly looking catfish you got there!!

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    That will make a lot of shoes. Good Pics. Thanks for sharing.:lol: :smile2:

6. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Nice catch were those (nusiance twins) that you got a call on?
    they're big enough to make a nice meal out of the neighbors dogs for sure!!

7. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    geez, I ain't ever swimmin' in there agin!

8. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I didn't even know it was legal to kill gators. Or is it?

9. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I was also wondering the same thing,about killing gators there.I always thought that they was a protected animal.I must of being wrong on this one. I know they have a wild life area off of interstate 95 N.I have noticed them in area that I have caught bait,and I would leave from there in fear of them and all them teeth.LMAO.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The weighed about 500+lbs each. It is illegall for anyone to kill or harm alligators in SC, but my father is the nusiance alligator control agent for the state. I grew up catching gators and I hate them. People just dont realize how many gators there are in the santee lake systems. These 2 were the 2 largest of the 15 we saw in about 30minute time span in just one small creek in Cross,SC. I will look around to see if I can find the pic of the state record we got in Cross at the hatchery last year. He was 14' long and weighed 1000+lbs. I dont swim in the water either unless I am in the middle of the lake in the deepest water.

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome the BOC Skipper!

12. Skipper

Skipper New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Thanks. Its good to be here

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the board Skipper. Long time no see man.

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

Im just curious as to wether or not you eat the meat from them? If so, where from 1 to 10 would you rate it?

15. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Rivercatsc,
    What is your Dad's first name? He may have removed a couple of big gators for me a couple of years back. I want to say the man that helped us was named Johnney. BIG MAN

16. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Shrimp Man his name is Dennis and he is a big man. If it was around the lake it deffitenately was him. The meat is good very good if prepared right. It is more like an appetizer than a meal. We normally cook it with fish or a frogmore stew, Just cut into small nuggets rub it down in cajun seasoning and bread it with seafood breader and fry real quick only about 2 minutes. Alot of people cook it to long which makes it kkinda tough.

17. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Several different times I've seen dead gators floating down the river in the summertime. I ask my uncle about and he speculated that thedog hunting clubs did it. He said they used to get together and go in one day and just kill every gator they see and don't talk about it. The gators are hard on hunting dogs back in places like Hell Hole Swamp. I had to help retrieve a tracking collar from a gator myself one morning.

18. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    we need to relocate some of them gators to greenwood and hartwell...might would keep some of them jet ski's and what not off the lake!!!!:lol:

19. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Sorry,but i'm against killing gators-they should be relocated instead.These reptiles have been here long before us.:sad2:

20. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    They tried it for 20 years and that is why the populations are so out of hand now. They try to only harvest big males that have lost there fear of humans or boats. They dont just go get a gator cause he shows up one day in your pond. The main problem is people feeding them and then they want to know why the gators are hanging around and not leaving. Usually like to hang around fish cleaning stations and they always say we didnt feed them they are just coming up here eating the fish carcasus we threw in the water. DUH! I dont believe in senseless killing of anything either and as far as dogs gettin eatin is about 1% of the complaints from alligators. I have been cleaning alligators for 25years with my father and have yet to find a dog collar in one but there sure alot of turtle shells.LOL
    Swan Lake in sumter got 2 $15000 each chinese swans one time and they lasted about 1 day before gettin eatin by a gator, now that was an expensive meal.LOL Best thing to do is respect there distance and DONT FEED THE GATORS!