2 days fishing, one new PB, 1 nice common, and a surprise grass carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by mcwrestler, May 8, 2009.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The first fish pictured is a 31lb buffalo that also happens to be my PB. He was caught down in Chattanooga after a break in the storms we were fighting all day. Me and a fishing partner had went down that way for some big carp, but the rain and wind caused issues. After this buffalo I caught another that weighed around 15lbs.

The second fish came the following day only 5 minutes from where I am at the local duc pond. My fishing partner caught it, and it was also his first from the pond. It came on grits pack flavored with Juicy Tutti Fruity and corn popped up off the bottom barely. I had chummed the night before to increase our chances of a good fish the following day and it worked. I had thrown out 15lbs of boiled corn.

The third fish was a grass carp I caught that weighed in at 19.5lbs. I had been trying a pack I was working on for grass carp using a tomato on a hair rig and I hooked something huge, that I brought towards shore before it was able to tangle on a fence and get away. I even waded in after it. It was either a large grass carp, or a big blue cat. Now I thought catfish would avoid tomato, boy was I wrong. After I lost whatever it was I caught many channels on the tomato, up to 7lbs. So then I switched to grits with the same flavoring used for the carp and caught the grass carp pictured. I am going to fish again today and if I can get the grass carp pack to work I will post a recipe.

Attached Files:

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Nice fish.You for real about the tomato?:eek:oooh:

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am very serious about the tomato. I have heard they are excellent grass carp bait and I want to find something to single them out. I have read many baits that are claimed to, but they have not worked so I am at the drawing board. I think I am onto something, if the channels would quit eating the tomato. I am almost certain the large fish was a grass that got off, as I cannot imagine a large blue taking the tomato so intentionally and running so quick with it. All my large cats have been slow movers. The cats are getting annoying at this point.

The first picture is the hair rigged tomato with a little foam to help it float, helps the grass carp take the bait in.

Second picture is the hair rigged tomatoe stuck into the tomatoe pack formed around the inline sinker.

Attached Files:

4. Bigfish4me

Bigfish4me New Member

State:
    Conshy Pa
    Nice report, theres a pond i fish that has absolute behometh grass carp in it....i would say a few of them will go 4' long....they seem spooky and are usually suspended up near the waters surface.....i have been searching for something they will eat myself....i just might have to give the tomato a try...thanks for the tip.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice Carp.

6. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Nice fish and unique way of catching them. Congrats!

7. trackerpro17

trackerpro17 New Member

State:
    Nc
    Very nice

8. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    can i bring my carp bow? lol just kidding

9. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member