2 Cycle Outboard Oil

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by 85Dave, Oct 13, 2008.

1. 85Dave

85Dave New Member

State:
    Germantown, Tn
    I had been buying Pennzoil synthetic from walmart, but they don't carry it anymore. All they have now is supertech and Mercury.

What are you guys using, where are you getting it, and how much does it cost?

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i use super-tech in my outboard and both my vehicles---been using it for years with no problems.

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Been using Walmart's finest (Super-Tech) in my 1994 Yamaha 85 for almost as long as I've had it.
    Same plugs that came in it, motor never been touched. Runs and starts like day one.
    The dealer recommended Quicksilver.

4. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've also been using the Super-Tech for a while.

5. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I typically use Quicksilver. It usually goes on sale a couple times a year at BPS and it is USED to be reasonable. I just had to buy some last week though not on sale and it was like $25 a gallon:sad2: Dave you might check with some other WM's because last week I also bought a quart of the Pennzoil(don't know about synthetic part) from WM in Covington

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Usually run the brand oil thats recommended out of the owners manual. In my merc 90 i use quicksilver. My johnson 28 and 6 horse i use johnson outboard oil.

7. CatMaster of the Mis

CatMaster of the Mis New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I used the tech oil before and it worked fine it just smoked twice as much as quicksilver so I went back to it...

8. 85Dave

85Dave New Member

State:
    Germantown, Tn
    I have a Yamaha, and they naturally recommend Yamalube. But nobody carries Yamalube is gallon containers. And it is very expensive. The research I've done shows Yamalube is an execelent oil, but I just can't find it around here.

9. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Best i could find in gallons for yamalube online was 20.50. Just slightly higher than what i'm paying for quicksilver at 18 dollars. A case of yamalube would be 82.00 or you could opt for a 55 gallon drum for 966 dollars. :eek:oooh:

10. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I've used Quicksilver for years, but have switched to Castrol 2 cycle. Saves me a little money and I haven't had any problems. I use it in my weedeater, chainsaw, and my outboard.

11. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I use Quicksilver most of the time. Use Super-tech in my vehicle due to rising cost of oil. It works as god as the high dollar stuff!

12. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    If your motor can run the cheaper oils with no issues then go for it. It will let you know if it doesnt like it.
    My old Yamaha 40 wouldnt run consistent on Penzoil or other less expensive brands. The idle was inconsistent. Caused problems in current with cutting off while picking up anchor. and other idling situations. A couple times bouncing off of snags while motor cut off convinced me.Switched to Quicksilver and never another issue or carb problem. I am sold. Now nothing but quicksilver for the 90.

13. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    It just depends on how much money you want to spend, Because as long as the oil meets your motors specs, then it's really just about money. You can pay 20+ dollars a gallon for oil or buy supertech, or Citgo for about 8 dollars a gallon. It's kind of like buying premimum fuel when your vehicle will run fine on regular unleaded.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I dont want to disagree with anyone but lets consider 2 cycle oil for a minute.You can buy bottles of 2 cycle oil at Lowes if you want and it is 2 cycle oil.Would you run it in your new outboard maybe but I wouldnt.Those oils are made primarily with chain saw weed eaters etc in mind.You can buy 8$ 2 cycle oil also and it will "work".The reason the premiums cost more is the additive packages that each manufacturer has found to be the best for their motors.Those anti sludge,anti carbon,anti ash etc additives cost money and you arent getting them in the 8$ oil.Its your engine and you just paid a hell of a lot of money for it,why scrimp on oil???I just bought a new truck,ran it for 500miles and changed the oil to Mobil one with a new filter also.It will get this treatment every 3500 miles without fail.Cheap insurance in my mind.Use the oil your manufacturer recommends if you can afford it.There are several boating magazine websites that can give you the info on the numerous tests they have made of various oils.They and most outboard mechanics strongly agree that you shouldnt skimp on the oil you use.Just because an oil says TCW-3 on it doesnt mean anything as some cheap oils put only enough additives in theirs to get the rating and nothing more.Keep this in mind ;todays gasoline is basically crap,without many additives simply to save money.Add the ethanol factor in and the worst enemy of your engine is carbon and ash buildup.The only protection your engine has is the oil you use.Pay your money and take your chances.:roll_eyes::eek:oooh:

15. 85Dave

85Dave New Member

State:
    Germantown, Tn
    I've done quite a bit of research on outboard 2-cycle oils, and I'm convinced that Pennzoil Full Synthetic is hard to beat.

Yamalube is a semi-synthetic oil made by Citgo, with a very good additive package made by Chevron. It has lots of moly and some phosphorus, calcium, & boron. These are extreme pressure and anti-wear agents.

Mercury Opti oil is a semi-synthetic oil also with a very good add pac that has moly, boron, and a touch of calcium and phosphorus. But some folks report that Mercury oils tend to leave carbon deposits inside the prop hub.

Citgo, Supertech, and other "cheap" oils do not use an add pac. They pass the minimum NMMA tests, but I would expect to see more carbon with these oils. Carbon is what kills outboards. The carbon gets into the rings, and locks the up.

Pennzoil full synthetic uses an ester based formula. Esters burn clean, leave essentially no ash, and don't need additives. But they are expensive. According to the Tohatsu/Nissan website:
    TLDI outboards should only be run using TCW3 oil specifically formulated for use in Direct Injection motors. Standard TCW3 oil is not recommended for use in TLDI outboards. The following oils have been tested by our factory and certified for use in TLDI motors:
    Tohatsu Premium Oil
    Nissan Marine Premium Oil
    Pennzoil Complete Marine Synthetic
    Pennzoil Semi-Synthetic Outboard Oil
    Mercury Optimax/DFI Oil
    Yamaha Yamalube 2-M Semi-Synthetic Injector Oil
    Bombardier RAM Ficht Oil

The above oil brands are currently the only brands that have been tested and approved by our factory for use in TLDI systems. Brand names listed are trademarked by their respective owners.

Notice that the only non-OEM oil recommended is Pennzoil. For those that don't know, the TLDI is the direct injection system that Nissan/Tohatsu uses. It is similar to the OptiMax system that Mercury uses. Direct injection motors tend to run hotter internally than carbs, so they are harder on oil. Mercury had a lot of trouble with the OptiMax when it first came out. Better oils have reduced the OptiPop problems. Since my motor is a direct injection model, I will use one of the above oils.

On the Scream and Fly website (dedicated to high performance outboards), Pennzoil Full Synthetic and Alysin Synthetic are to 2 most recommended oils.

I found 2 gallons of the Pennzoil Full Synthetic at the Collierville Walmart today, and bought both of them. They were $27/gallon. But since we use only about 3 or 4 gallons per year, I think it is a small price to pay for piece of mind. I hope WalMart continues to carry it.

16. 85Dave

85Dave New Member

State:
    Germantown, Tn
    OK. After my dissertation on 2-cycle oils, I neglected to talk about oils for carb motors. Any TCW-III oil will work fine in a carb motor.

Our last boat was a BassTracker with a 40 hp Force, which was really a Yamaha. I used Lubrimatic oil in that motor. That oil was on close-out for $1 per gallon. I bought all they had (about 12 gallons) before the greedy people got there. Never had an oil-related problem.

So, for all you'se guys that use SuperTech/Lubrimatic/Citgo/Pennzoil regular/etc., on carb / EFI motor, you should be fine.

The original motor on our BassCat was a 1991 Yamaha 150 hp carb motor. The motor locked up after running 35+miles at wide open throttle using Lubrimatic oil. Tear-down revealed that the oil pump quit working. Outboards need oil (duh). Looking back, it seemed that I hardly never added oil to the tank (2.5 gallon tank). It wasn't the oil's fault, it was the oil pump's fault. In hindsight, if I had disconnected the oil injection and run pre-mix, we would still be running that motor.

The new HPDI runs hotter than the carb motor. That's why we are spending more money on oil. A side benefit of the HPDI is that fuel mileage improved from about 3 mpg to 5 mpg. The new motor is about 5 mph slower than the old motor, but we rarely run wide open.

Your mileage may vary.

17. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
  18. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I've got a 50 Merc 2 stroke and all I like to use is the quicksilver premium in it. I've tried some of the cheaper oils but it seems to make the motor smoke more and fouls out the plugs quickly. With a set of plugs costing $25 it doesn't seem nearly as bad to pay a little bit more for oil. In the long run I guess it works out about the same either way. I guess I'll just keep runnin what I'm runnin, at least it makes me feel a little better:wink: