2 cycle motor oil

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by primitivefrn, Mar 5, 2006.

1. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Which burns the cleanest, Have 175 merc. sports jet, was using merc. oil went to castor oil, Iam wondering if that was a smart move. Have any in put on this.
    Thanks

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Jim, not sure about the castorol oil but did a test with my mechanic one time. We used the tec oil sold at walley world, merc. and evinrude. Took a metal cake pan and put a teaspoon of each oil in it and lite it. The tec oil wouldnt even burn! The evinrude burned off the cleanest with the merc a close second. Try liteing a small amount of each and see which one burns off the cleanest.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If a motor is under warranty, I would stay with the manufacturer's recommendation stated in the owners manual. After that, you're on your own. I've always prefered to stay with the motor manufacturers brand of oil. The price difference between cheap oil and name brand oil is cheap insurance compared to the cost of a powerhead rebuild.

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I had a 3 month old motor once that blew up. Oil wasn't blamed for the failure, but the mechanic called me when he tore it down and asked what kind of oil I was using. He said the pistons were carboned up real bad. I had been using Texaco 2 cycle oil. All TCW oils may meet certain lubricating specs, but they all don't have the necessary additives to keep your engine clean. Only Quicksilver or OMC oil for me since then.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Most all name brand mfg oils are good to use. All two cycle outboard oil will have a TCW3 rating. There is a minimum standard for TCW3, that's what the Texaco and Havoline oils are with pics of chain saws and lawnmowers on the can. The quality oils far exceed the minimum rating.

I personally like the synthetic oils for the cleanest burning and least amount of carbon build up. I used Amsoil yrs ago before the outboard giants started putting their names on synthetics.

I once had a wizard tell me that the off brand oil he was selling had TCW3 in it. He then got an education in opening his mouth without knowing the first thing about what he was saying.

T(two cycle) W(water) C(cooled) 3 ( and most recent quality tested for outboards). It's a rating not an additive.

6. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    That was very educational , you old fart. (hehe)
    Thanks again Bob for educating us.
    I always read these post on engine care/upkeep.
    I am always learning something new here.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have heard it told,that TCW3 is safe to run in ANY 2 cycle.Is there a universal 2 cycle oil?I am talking about weed eaters,blowers,chainsaws,new and old outboards ect.Any one have any knowledge on this?peewee-williams

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    PeeWee, reread my post. There's good oils for air cooled and good oils for water cooled

What claims to be a universal oil will blow things up.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Peewee don't use TCW-3 oil in no weed eater or chainsaw, leafe blower or etc. Listen to bob he is right on with this.

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I read and I believe you.I have never tried a so called universal oil.I have heard,and at times wondered if someone came up with one.The only true universal 2 cycle oil I ever knew of was when all of them used to call for 30 weight non detergent motor oil.Those days are gone.I have added a little "MARVEL MYSTERY OIL"to my chain saw.It seemed to keep the exhaust and spark arrester screen carbon softer and easyer to clean.Some claimed it made winter starting easier with a outboard motor.The best help that I found for sever winter starting was a 12 volt heat gun that looks like a hair dryer.It will heat the carbs and intake up and I would keep it heating the intake till the moter warmed.Thanks. peewee-williams

11. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    I've used TCWIII oil in my Stihl weedeater and it's 10 years old now and still going strong.

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    So there you have it folks, please ignore all the other info and use whatever you want.

13. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    I got me a new Stihl chainsaw today and some "Made for Chainsaws Oil". Even though I've had good luck with my weedeater running on TCW3, I'm going to do things proper from now on.

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Is it OK with you if I keep following your advice?peewee-williams

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Sure PeeWee. I was just foolin' with you guys.

When some one makes a comment like Grumpy Did, it could put doubts in the minds of those that think the Mfg's of outboards are just selling their name instead of quality, when relating to oil.

I have no doubt that his weed eater ran good with an outboard type oil, but I'd not take a chance on running an outboard on an oil designed for air cooled equipment.

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have a new Mercury outboard, and I use the oil they recommend, which is the Quicksilver. It probably costs more, but I am not willing to take a chance on the motor or warranty to save a few dollars.

I have Nissan Frontier that has 181,000 miles on it, and I run Mobil 1 Synthetic in it. I don't know if the oil made a difference or if it is just a superior engine, but I really can't complain with 181,000 miles and no enine problems. I change my own oil, so it cost me about the same to use Mobil 1 as it does to take it and have it changed with some cheap bulk oil. Plus, I can run it longer between oil changes with the synthetic.

17. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    Hey bob, I put Quicksilver TCW3 oil in my weedeater because I figured it was better than anything out there for chainsaws and weedeaters. I figured if it could protect a 250 hp outboard, then it certainly would protect a little weedeater. As for putting 59¢ a pint weedeater oil in my outboard, I would never consider it.

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Wyliecat,I just traded a Chev 1500 PU that had 156,000 on it and all I ever used was Mobil 1 changed every 3000 miles.Ran like a top and the service manager bought it that day because he knew the truck and all the maint that had been done.Only thing that ever went wrong with that engine was a transmission oil cooler line blew at the flex rubber part after 130,000 miles.So I promtly replaced both.If you want to go longer between changes get the new Mobil 1 Extended life which has more additives to support the extended running time.I have used Mobil 1 since it came out and wouldn't use anything else and I ALWAYS use premium oil in my outboards as recommended by the Man.In this case Optimax semi syn Quicksilver.Good oil is the cheapest investment you can make along with frequent changes for any type of engine.Mobil 1 also makes a syn transmission fluid that I highly recommend for those of you that tow boats.I service my transmission every 30,000 miles by having the dealer do the complete replacement treatment.The machine forces the old fluid out,then they clean the tranny with solvents etc then completely replace all the fluid not just the 1/2 with a normal drop the pan service.I give them the Mobil 1 syn fluid and "Watch" them put it in the machine so I know what I'm getting.Tranny runs cooler,easier,and cleaner.I used to use Amsoil tran fluid also.:)

19. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    I was down in the garage a while ago and picked up a gallon jug of Quicksilver Premium TCW3 oil. It says on the label, it's for ALL 2 cycle water cooled AND AIR COOLED engines including chain saws, snowmobiles, etc.

I don't know. Mercury Marine may be lying, but I'm gonna use it in my weedeater and chainsaw, and boat motor and take a chance that they know what they are talking about.

20. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have in my hand a answer to my question. (A claim) I did not know when I asked.I am not saying that I believe them.On the front-CITGO SUPERGARD MARINE PLUS TWO-CYCLE MULTI-PURPOSE ENGINE OIL.On the back it claims it "meets the requirements of all 2-cycle outboards." AND it reads."Also recommended for other 2-cycle engines.I have a case of gallons that I bought on sale at the BP store and forgot about.I guess that is where I got the question from.I hope that it is good for something.Any one use it or have any Ideas beside waste oil?Peewee-williams