2 cut bait questions

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by daredevle, Sep 13, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hello brothers i have 2 questions one is what is the better bart or a cut bluebill for channels ive been using strips and heads scratch that olny strips i use the tail and heads for chum my second question is how do you put a hook on a strip of bluegill i just take a circle hook and put it though the meaty part please help good fishing and god bless:wink:

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Actually, my favorite piece of cutbait is the head. I hook it from under the bottom lip then out the top of the head(but leave plenty of hook exposed). Also, I don't chum much because I think the cats may pick up a scent trail from that and not find my bait as easily. Good luck fishin'.

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    How big are the gills? If they are 4-6 inches try this sometime take and fillet one side of gill leaving guts and stomach attached!! Take the fillet side and cut into shape of fish!! Good luck!!

4. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I dont use cut gills very often but do use alot of cut shad and skipjack. I like the heads mostly. I also like to take 6-8 inchers sorda scuff the sides ( get the sent out and flowin) then rip'em down the belly kina like fillet'en it. the cut the tail off. if you notice on fresh bait when you cut the tail off blood will ooz out for a wile. dont know if this is the best way just the way I do it. good luck

5. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    fillet hunh i will try thanks 2 you both

6. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    haven't tried it yet but a friend of mine fillets the side of a bluegill just like he was going to cook it and puts that on the hook. does purdy dang good with channel cats that way.

7. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    thats exactly what i do !!!!!

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you absolutely have to stop using the heads for chum. if i am cutting gills for bait i will use the fins and tail for chum, but the heads are awesome to use as bait. the heads and guts are my favorite parts of gills to use as bait. iff you are using strips make sure you scrape off the scales before you cut them into strips. this helps with scent dispersion and the kitties are more apt to hold onto them for longer. give it a try and let me know what you think.

9. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

when i yse cut bait i always,always use the heads, i use to not use the heads till one night i was real low on bait and use 6" gill head and they tor it up. i hook the heads right through the eyes with 7/0 circle hook works great. and the strips my favroite piece is the 3/4 in slice right behind the gills where the side fins are(but i remove all fins for less hook interference) but cut gills rule my favroite bait.......

10. jm_magic

jm_magic New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You know..... I just started using cut bluegill heads at some waters near me, and have done quite well. Actually a couple of weeks ago I caught about a 5 pound bass on bottom in about 8 feet of water on bluegill head. :eek:oooh:

It is my new favorite choice.

Plus you can put dang near anything on a very small hook and catch some bluegills:smile2:

11. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I use a lot of 'gills, but rarely ever cut one..., not even a big one. The bigger channelcat and blues seem to appreciate a live 'gill for a snack just like a flathead. I sometimes scrape the scales from behind the dorsal and then lightly hook the fish just below the rear of the dorsal fin with an 8/0 Gammagotcha hook.

I cast them gently or simply lower the gill into the water when drift fishing. This helps keep the fish alive and kicking.

12. 2MNYKATSNOTENOUFTIME

2MNYKATSNOTENOUFTIME New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When the gills are smaller, I just hook them under the dorsal and let em go. Flatties and bigger channels both like live. When I use them for cut bait, I usually cut off the heads and tails. I take what's left and cut it lengthwise (not like a fillet). Then take 1 of the strips and rig it like you would a plastic worm to go weedless. You can also use the heads and tails, so don't throw them out. If you get a bigger gill, try to keep the guts, for some reason the kitties come runnin to a strip with guts :wink:

Hope that helped.

13. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    The head part is the best one for me. Sometimes it can be used over and over before changing.

14. GIZMOTDOG1

GIZMOTDOG1 New Member

State:
    ILL.
    what i always use is the entire bluegill/shad hooked behind the dorsal with 1 oz slip sinker and let em swim

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the strips are good for channel cats, but i prefer the head of just about any baitfish. sometimes you can even catch flatheads on the head, if it's fresh cut off a live bream.