Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
August 31st. I picked up my brother around 08:00 and drove to our fishing spot. Since his health condition limits his walking we have access to a dock for fishing. We got our lines in the river at 08:45; river was down, clear and a light current. A friend gave us a bunch of 5-7 inch Skipjacks for bait as he had more than he needed. So we had good bait for the cats to hit to start off the day. I got a tap at 09:27 on a piece of garlic chicken breast. 09:05 I got a tap on the Skipjack. 09:53 tap on a garlic seasoned chicken heart, so we were getting some action on this trip.

My brother is a firm believer on circle hooks that the fish WILL HOOK THEMSELVES so he is very slow in going for his rod. The fish was hammering the rod in the rod holder on the railing. Bouncing it up and down, I grabbed my brother to get him walking to the rod, just then we saw it flip off the railing with the rod holder and all! The water is 14 feet at the dock, I tried to retrieve it with the other rod; no luck. So he lost a very decent size fish and about $80 worth of fishing gear!

10:30 I finally hooked a fish; a decent blue cat 24 inches and 51/4 pounds on the garlic seasoned chicken heart! 10: 40 a hard bite on the chicken heart had it for a couple turns of the reel then nothing. We both had a number of taps after that and came to realize the gars were the reason.

Just as we were winding in to calling it a day my brother did have a baby blue cat on the end of his line that did take the Skipjack. So we were not skunked this trip for a change. I hope my brother learns his lesson and keeps a bungee cord to his rod to prevent it from flipping into the river. Headed home at 12:30, not sure when we will go back there; for a lot of rain is forecaste for our area. That will mess the river up again for some time.

·
Registered
James N ... Central California.
10,315 Posts
Good for you and your brother Norb. If I'm fishing from the bank or a dock you can guarantee I will always have a safety strap around my pole

·
Registered
657 Posts
There is a fine line between being lazy and knowing when the fish is hooked...and when the rod is bouncing in the rod holder and you are still not hurrying over to your rod, then that is being lazy.

Just because circle hooks set themselves, doesn't mean that a 100lb Blue cat that hooks itself will act the same as a 5lb channel that hooked itself

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
Norb, again, dont let the "messed up" river steer you away. Sometimes it actually helps the bite. Muddy, high water dont bother catfish a bit. You may have the best trip yet when the river is rising and muddy.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a fine line between being lazy and knowing when the fish is hooked...and when the rod is bouncing in the rod holder and you are still not hurrying over to your rod, then that is being lazy.

Just because circle hooks set themselves, doesn't mean that a 100lb Blue cat that hooks itself will act the same as a 5lb channel that hooked itself
my brother has a health condition that causes him to walk with slow and small steps some times I have to hold his arms so he can walk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts