# 2, Blue catfish of 2007

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Flamekeeper, May 4, 2007.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Same Lake / same Dam / and almost the same exact way my 39 was caught.Was fishing at 9' with 4'' bluegills about AM I went to check my bait because it had been sitting still to long, reeled in Dead, so I figured that the oxygen level was wrong at that depth, so I put on a fresh bluegill, and went to 7'. Threw out in front of a point that dropped off into deeper water , around 13'.

Laid my pole down and walked away to set my other poles and after setting the others out I heard something that sounded like a weed eater at a distance, so I was looking around to see where it was coming from and didn't see nobody:crazy:. I looked back at the lake and took a quick scan at the floats and seen that the one set at the point was gone.

Bros when I ran down that dam and got close to that reel , I just smiled ,I never seen the line come off of that Morrum 7700 CL that fast or even heard that clicker go so fast it sounded like it was buzzing. LOL:lol: ,After locking it down and setting the hook it was on. that 7'SeaHawk from Fenwick done its job well,and after 30 min or so I had him in the net, Hooked him on 2 sets of scales 1 a certified cotton bale scale and the other a Rapala quick grab scale, Bot put him just under 53 lbs My PB-est, beat my old record by 2 1/2 lbs LOL. Man I was a blast , Done one thing wrong tho,I stuck my hand into its mouth to grit the hook and he clamped down on my hand and started to twist around , and by the time my hand was free it looked like 40 grit grinding wheel got a hold of it :embarassed: ,Going back tomorrow and try again.

The bad thing is that I was trying to catch some Flatheads since the pre-spawn activity is soon to pick up here in Ky, and I will be posting some of them as soon as I can get them. without these blues interfering,:lol: But I got a Nice'n

the when this one

Attached Files:

2. kykatattack

kykatattack New Member

State:
    kentucky
    good fish you got there
    hufo
    hook up
    fish on

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    that flathead that you got a hold of ain't bad either, What part of Ky you from?.KyKTATCK

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats on your new PB.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kenny thats a great fish and a good story. Thanks for sharing. You stated "going back tomorrow". I guess the sandpaper mouth (pain) just gets you excited. Ha. Ha.:lol: :smile2:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on a nice Bluecatfish.

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Yep I went back today with my youngest son and grandson, My Son caught a 26 lb blue on a 41/2'' bluegill fishing 7' in water in water thats around 13', the fish hit twice and killed the gills but no hookup because he was using a#4 Octopus ,I told him to get a # 7-8 out of my bag,he tied it on and stuck another 4'' gill in the back, pinched the tail and slung it out 10 min or so it was gone,and after a little battle the fish was in the net. Post Pic asap.

We also caught 15 channels. had a great time with the grandson.
    ( Gods Gift to us :smile2: )

8. LITTLE FISH

LITTLE FISH New Member

State:
    New Paris, Ohio
    Nice Big Blue buddy

9. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Congrats, great fish!!!!:big_smile:

10. OlDrum

OlDrum New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :0a32:

Flood stage! It won't be long befoer the water falls?

11. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well you are just wearing em out lately, good job man. Your doing something right.

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Well after sitting there for a while and nothing was happening,Checking my bait was the KEY. After pulling in and seeing the bluegill dead, I knew that it was swimming in water that the Oxygen level or something else was wrong , So I decided to shallow up from 9 to 7' and that was the trick.You have to be aware of the things like that dead bluegill to tell you to change your tactics, That will lead to success most of the time.

My Son caught a 26 lb blue the very next day at the same lake.he was using a #4 Gamakatzu Oct, fishing for channels and catching just a few, He decided to fish for the Big Boy's and stuck a 4'' gill in the back and it wasn't 15 min, he's float was gone and he went to set the hook and missed the fish. He reeled in and I noticed that he still had the #4 on and told him that he was trying to catch a shark on a bluegill hook:crazy: .LOL He got a #8 gama/Oct out of my box and tied it on, stuck another 4'' gill in the back and slung it out. In five minutes he had the fish hook, that fish stayed in the same vicinity as before, feeding I guess,or there was a school of them swimming around out there.But anyway as soon I get a pic of it I will post,,

Having a good time in Ky. In 5 trips I've caught 2 nice blues and 38 channels.

13. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    nice catch. WTG!

14. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    heres a couple of more pics of some more fish that I just got developed, they start with the catching of a 34lb 10oz blu.and continue on into the next set of Pic's.

It sure is hard to get pics as you are tring to fight a fish:smile2::smile2:

Attached Files:

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Caught him on the usaual Bait a 3-4" Bluegill

Attached Files:

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Heres a 36lb blue that ate the same thing:wink:

and as you can see from one pic ,Bro's the float went down so fast then it popped right back up. I reeled it up to check it out and you can see what a hungry cat can do to a 4" bluegill, thats bite him slick in half:eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

17. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Looks like a good fighter, congrats

18. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    congrats on you person best. That must have been a heck of a rush.

19. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Great fish, Great story--Well caught, and well told. Thanx for sharing.

20. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    congrats on the PB, some nice fish thanks for sharing with us