2# BASS for bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by heavyduty, Oct 4, 2006.

1. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I had an old timer tell me one time him and his daddy would use 2# bass for flathead bait. they would use two limb lines for one bass, a hook in the mouth and ahook in the tail. I have never tried it myself but it sounds good to me. Have any of yall tried this or heard of it. Thanks a lot.

2. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    a setup like that would catch you one hell of a fish. cant say i ever heard of using bait that big for catfish.

3. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Yeah, that is what he said he said they caught some monsters!

4. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have used 12 inch carp and suckers for flatheads before and a even just a 20 pounder has no problem gettin them in its mouth.

5. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    never used bass for bait but i have used carp 2 to 3 pounds and have caught a few bigguns on them

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would definantly check your local laws before useing a gamefish for bait. But other than that, a flathead of almost any size can eat a bass that size. They can fit 2/3 of their body weight in their cavernous mouth.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The flatheads here in Eastern PA love bass both LMs and SMs.

8. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Other than the bait being a lil' small, the entire setup sounds great. J/k. If it is legal, give it a try. Vern

9. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    right after he told me that I checked the laws and it is legal to use a game fish as long as you catch it and not buy it.here in MS. Thanks to all of yall !!

10. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    How big of a weight does it take to hold a bait that size where you want it?

11. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I've never used bass but I have put 14 inch crappie on tree lines, caught a 30 pounder two summers ago on it. might have to try the bass idea...

12. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    he said he didnt use aweight but I suppose you could if you wanted to. some of these guys that rod and reel with large bait can answer that question. I use pond perch on trotlines and if i catch a small channel or bullhead i hook them back on my line, but i weight my lines real good that helps when you hook a big fish.

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I love bass for flatties, i was using a bass bout 10 inches once and caught a flattie that was smaller than the bait. the fish wasnt even hooked but the bass was stuck in his throat.

14. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Im Indiana you cant use bass as bait... Although i have used a bass once before but to no avail... so i just let him go.....

15. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Yes if Im not mistaken you can't use a bass for bait in Georgia. I beleive use of gamefish is illegal, plus if the bagillion bass fisherman out there caught ya lol
    Not that Id care, just sayin...

16. riverwiskers

riverwiskers New Member

State:
    kelly nc
    Biggest bait I have ever had taken was an 8 inch gill. Yea I missed the hookset lol Dale

17. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    you better geet ready for one hell of a fish LOL

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I love big baits, throw out the biggest thing you can and wait an see what shows up. Bass in the 1 -2 lb range fight hard on the hook. Bluegill might get sullen and lie on the bottom, but a small bass will fight and fight. I've also had a 2lb flathead eat a 1lb bass and not be hooked. Poor little guys eyes were bigger than his belly. You won't get as many runs with large baits but the ones you get will tend to be memorable.

19. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The idea of rigging it on two separate lines sounds like a problem to me. It seems like the bass would swim around and tangle the heck out of those 2 lines. If you feel like the big bait needs 2 hooks, then I'd rig them on the same line: hook in the nose and a stinger (on a short dropper line) toward the tail.

20. new to fishing

new to fishing New Member

State:
    north carolina
    last i knew it is legal in ill to use game fish for bait as long as you catch it in the same water you are useing it and you cant buy game fish for bait but i could be wrong i havent check for along time