2.5 million miles in the same car!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Feb 5, 2007.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    1966 Volvo 1800 bought new in for $4,150. Engine is the original, only had a valve job back 20 years ago to correct switching from leaded gas to no lead.

The same guy driving 2,500,000 miles and in the same vehicle is hard to believe.
    My son-in-law has been driving OTR for almost 14 years. He recently got his 2 Million Mile Safety Award. They replace his truck about every 600,000 miles and they have used some Volvo trucks.

I've owned vehicles for 50 years but I doubt I've driven much over half million miles in 12 vehicles!

I should had a Volvo, I wouldn't needed those other 11. :big_smile:

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    That is one amazing story!:smile2:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    most people could get amazing miles on any vehicle if they used proper maintanence although those volvos are built with a higher standard of quality we just dont see in american made vehicles anymore

4. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Talking about white line fever here.:smile2:

5. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    That's just crazy!

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Very true Richard.
    I had 352,000 miles on my old Honda Civic when I finally got rid of it. The engine was still running strong but the rest of it was getting quite scabby.
    2,500,000 in the same car is pretty mind boggling...W

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Only wish I could get half that out of mine. I'd be a happy camper.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Volvo will give you a new car if you drive one 1 million miles.:big_smile: :lol:

9. spaceman

spaceman New Member

State:
    Strong, Ar
    that's a lot of miles, it works out to be 5000 miles a month for 40 years, can't say that i can beleive that.

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I had a ford tempo that I put .25 million miles on-thought that was good for a 4 banger

Also a old Datsun pick-up...probably the 7th owner:big_smile: that had over 350,000...motor still ran strong but rusted frame was its downfall....saw the guy I sold it to driving it for another 2 years...he attached 4x4's to the frame rail with U-bolts

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The reason that car has lasted so long is------------------ He never let a teenager drive it!!!!!!! lol lol

12. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Outstanding my man...wonder how I knew it wasn't a Ford.

13. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have about 400k on my '88 C-10...motor and tranny has been replaced...'course i work it pretty hard sometimes.

i am having some trouble believing the motor has never been into at that many miles....i just don't believe it...volvo or no, a motor is metal on metal - designed to wear out.

14. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I've seen two Chevy Surburbans both with 2 million+ miles on them. They were custom made 8 door surburbans that took employees to the airport and back every day 7 days a week averaging 400 to 700 miles a day. The only thing every done was routine maintenance.

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    thats a lot of miles I don`t think I have drove that many miles :cool2: put together