2-2 James river

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by cataholic999, Feb 2, 2008.

1. cataholic999

cataholic999 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Had another great day today. Caught around 25 fish. 12 citations total. 4 in the 40's and a 55. I sure love the winter. I'll post a couple pics later..

2. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    Glad to here you had a great day... This winter fishing is productive and more people need to try it. Here in NC, people can't get over the size of the cats in the James. If I didn't have to drive 5 hrs one way, I would be up there every other weekend. I fish with your sinkers (12oz) and they work really well. It is hard to find them that big so you do have a good product...
    Have a good one

3. cataholic999

cataholic999 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Alan, They bite like this all year except during the spawn. You jus gotta find them and pattern them through out the year to be consistant. Thanks for the nice comments. I didn't even mention the 4 monsters that broke off in structure. I loose some really big fish every week in structure.. I fished an area I haven't fished for a while today and just fished where I marked bait balls in 45-50' of water instead of proven holes. A few did come from under 10' of water though!:wink:
    I have some 14oz sinkers too, but I really don't see the need. I can fish whole 10" shad in 80' of water during a fast tide and the 12's will hold bottom casted off to the side of the boat.

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sounds like you had a really good time out there! Congrats!

5. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    Seems like another great day. If you dont mind, were you fishing open water or up in the river near DB.

6. river cat rat

river cat rat New Member

State:
    virginia
    good to her you had a good day where u fishin in db on the james?

7. cataholic999

cataholic999 New Member

State:
    virginia
    We fished all over the river today:wink:

8. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice to hear you had a good day had plans to come down today but my buddy (river cat rat) had to work :sad2::embarassed:

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations Steve, sounds like a great day fishing :cool2:. Can't wait to see the pics of those HAWGS!!

10. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    What kind of line do you use and or like? I use both braid and mono (40lb). I think the braid might work better off to the sides (small line dia) with your sinkers.

11. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Seve...hey man....what a day....congratulations...I wanted to get down to the James this weekend but it just didn't work out. Felt like the bite would be on...with the warm snap .....I should have just droped everything and came on down....maybe next weekend??

Jerry

12. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Way to go ,that is what you call a great day of catting.That is the way to get them find the bait off the drops and structure =fish.Glad you had a great day.

13. cataholic999

cataholic999 New Member

State:
    virginia
    When you coming to fish with me Jerry? I got the boat ready for next Saturday! I'm up to 42 citations for 2008 in 6 trips w/ the biggest so far in 2008 at 71lbs. Its gonna be a good year! Jus gotta break that 95lb mark this year.lol Tourny season starts up on the 16th so I'll be fishing two or three Saturdays a month the rest of the year on tournys. Sundays will be open every weekend! Come on up and lets break that PB. :wink:

14. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Steve.....I'm bout to go out my mind today......having Withdrawals real bad....need a fix...lol...tell you what if the weather is looking good I may be down this coming weekend ...may even take Friday off....should have been there this weekend.....will let you know by Wednesday night....k

You're the man.....if I get a deal like Jamie....I will bring the chicken....lol

Jerry

15. cataholic999

cataholic999 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Sounds good Jerry I'll look forward to it. Alan I have been trying different lines for 15yrs and have tried all brands and pounds braid and mono. I have found that IMO I dont like braid for many reasons. I don't have any issues with the large line diameter in deep water. I have had better luck with mono. I have settled on one brand I like and have had the best luck with for many reasons including line memory, knot strength, abrasion resistance and over all strength. Alot of the areas I fish have barnicals on the structure so it doesnt matter what line you use it will pop with a large fish sawing the line across them. I use 50lb Clear Big Game for main line and 100lb Big Game leader. I have "never" had a bigggg fish break this line unless it had a frayed spot that broke or they broke off on structure. I have had and seen many fish break 100lb braid w/ mono leader on violent strikes with the drag not set loose enough and I run my drags rather tight b/k of structure. I also don't like to see my $4 rigs broke off flying through the air b/k I got back lash and it snapped in mid air.lol Another thing to remember is that colored mono doesnt have the same breaking strength as uncolored lines. Colored lines are weaker and stretch more. Try a bench test you'll see. I also use 230lb spro swivels and Gamma 8/0 hooks or Team catfish 8/0 double actions hooks. Don't waste money on sinker slides. Try a 2/0 hooking style swivel and a bead it will work better and won't wear, then break off when casting heavy sinkers..

16. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the information... This is why BOC is the best catfishing site going today. Fisherman helping fisherman... The learning curve for the James can be time consuming so ever little bit of info helps. I hope one day we can run into each other and Talk fishing. Jerry had alot of great things to say about you and I wish you good luck on your biggon quest... Rip some lips.....