1st timer wanting to coyote hunt

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Sharpy22, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hi guys, would like some help on setting up, type of location, and what would be a few good basic hand calls for starters and whats the best way to set up for wind here mainly comes out of south southwest most of the time, thanks for any info availible very appreciated.

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like using my tree stand once deer season is out. In the mountains the elevation helps get you above brush that mangles bullets before they get to a yote 100yds. away.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Set up on a cross wind but where ya can shoot before they smell ya. A open reed and a closed reed and ya can make quite a few voices. Practice makes perfect.

4. reloader1220_270

reloader1220_270 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i used to use a hand held call till i kept having them come in at 10 20 and 30 yards from me staring at me now i use a remote call that seems to work the best for me,cause you are at one place workin the callbut the sound is coming from another. also try some kind of decoy with it it will help bring them in. i got a fake rabbit i use sometimes, but the little live rabbit i got works the best. I hope some of this works for you.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In my experience,First ov all,You need to try not to skylight yourself. I keep low and walk to my calling sites as quiet as possible ,keeping close to brush,and cover. Most any mouth blown call will produce results. I prefer to call into the wind or quartering into it. Once you get to your stand the single most important Thing I can stress is to remain as till as possible. a coyote or bobcat hunts by sight and it knows the difference between a bunny and a 200 lb "blob" squirming around under a tree.

6. 70sdiver

70sdiver New Member

State:
    washington
    A good way to find coyoyes is at night ,go out with a howler call or a siren ive even used the panic button on my rig lol.These will get them howling and youll have a general idea of where they will be in the morning.If hunting the hills try and get towards the top and call watching the draws.I also use a crow call mixed with a cottentail or jack rabbit mouth call.It seems since i started throwing the crow call in we have them coming in with out as many hanging up.I usually will run a short series of cottentail followed by the crow call and then a short squel from the rabbit call.I then set for about 5 minutes scaning everything...be ready they can come in very fast lol.I had one run right at me and then straight past me a few years back he wasnt more than 30 feet away i never got the rifle up.

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Get a mouth call and practice. When you're driving your family and the neighborhood dogs completely bonkers, you're getting it right. Remember with a mouth call, you're trying to imitate something that is being eaten alive. It hurts, they're petrified, and they're screaming their furry little heads off.

As far as setup is concerned, the guys have already nailed it. Don't skyilne yourself on your way in. How you get in is just as important as how you set up. You can scare everything out of the country before you even get a chance to call them in. Park in a hidden spot, sneak to your calling location, sit with your back to something to break up your outline (a bush, rock, tree, log, etc) and get after it. Use shooting sticks too, they'll help. I hunted for several years with a $90 Harris bipod on my rifle, and I can honestly tell you that a set of shooting sticks is much cheaper and much more useful in a hunting situation. Unless you're planning on skinning and selling hides, then don't worry about going out and buying a special "varmint caliber" rifle. Just use what you've got for deer or whatever. It'll make a mess out of a coyote, but if your goal is just to call them in and kill them.... what's the difference? At least you'll get out and hunt without hiding a $600 purchase from the wifey!

Camo head to toe and learn to sit still. Also, don't blow all your time hunting at one or two sets. Get set up and call, and if something doesn't show fairly quickly, move to the next spot. Probably 90% of the coyotes and cats I've called up and killed came zipping in within the first 10 minutes of a set. I'll generally give a spot 25 minutes and that's about it. It's kind of like turkey calling, you wanna run & gun until you get a response. Be prepared to see some country, and don't spend too much time in any one spot. When you set up, get in an elevated position if possible and try to be able to see your downwind side. That's where they're gonna be headed, or coming from.

One last thing: calling in pairs is way more effective than going it alone. At least one of you needs to be carrying a 12 guage loaded with buckshot. You won't believe me until you have been calling a while, but you're gonna have occasion to use the shotgun way more often than you'd think.

Get out and have fun. You won't call any up on the couch. Give it a try!!!

8. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Here`s what I know about coyote huntin. Put a chicken in a cage out back. Soon after it gets dark, turn on the spotlight and start blastin! Them suckers are everywhere here. Not that I`ve ever done it. Aint sure if it`s legal. HE HE
    But I know you have a right to protect your stock.

9. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Everyone is right on about setups and such. I do most of my hunting for them at night, and there are some differences in nighttime hunting and hunting in the light. It seems as though they are a little bolder at night than in the daytime, and they really dont seem to hang up as much. Electronic calls are great because you dont have to move around at all, but mouth calls are prolly more important than the e-calls. Again, you have to realize with a distressed rabbit call that whatever has it is more than likely going to grab it and shake it, so you need to sound like a rabbit thats gettin the stuffin' shaken outta it.
    I usually try to set up a scenario in my head and act it out in the call. Many times an adult coyote, when teaching the young how to hunt, will catch a rabbit and mouth it up some and let it go and then let the pups catch it and kill it. So thats exactly what I try to sound like. I start out sounding as panic-like as I can (quick short bursts), then I sound like a pleading rabbit (long slow quivering calls), then Im quiet for a minute or so and then the same thing over again but with a shaking call at the end.
    As for the e-calls, a coyote pup in distress is a good call, and 2 gray foxes fighting is a pretty good one too. I have one thats called "coyote challenge" and its the most productive call in an area with a good population. It mimics a new coyote to the area thats challenging the alpha male. Its pretty scary how effective this call is when you use a coyote decoy (this is where the shotgun comes in).
    Make sure when you start calling, you start softly and gradually get louder. You never know when you might set up very near one and you dont want to blow it away right off the bat.
    If you hunt em at night, obviously you want to use a red filter on your light. I have 1 light mounted on the scope and 1 handheld light (check your laws to see if its legal first, scope lights were just made legal a couple years back here). The most important thing when using a light is to make SURE that none of the light ever hits your knees/boots/gun, anything real close to the light. The light doesnt scare them because its filtered and they cant really pick it up, but if something creates a shadow, they will almost always pick up the shadow right away. It took me a while to figure out a good way to sit without creating these shadows, but as long as you sit somewhat offset to directly downwind and the thickest cover, it doesnt take long to figure out a system for yourself.
    Remember, coyotes are most active the hour before sunrise and the hour after sunset, so plan to hunt as near to those times as possible. In my experience, moonlight can be a curse or a blessing. They seem to move pretty well on moonlit night with a fresh blanket of snow. It also seems the best time for the rabbit talk and if you have sheep in your area, a doe bleat that sounds a little sheepy works well too on moonlit nights.

10. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well i went out today took my 10 year old son, boy what an experience lol a little hyper but he did really good i called in my first gray fox my son saw it by the time i moved around to see it was gone oh well i was just tickled that i was able to do it. I used a quakerboy cottontail sqealer sounds pretty good till it gets a little wetbut it worked well and pleased with it but did not see any yotes going to head out after work in the morning. i work 3rd shift so i can go any time of day. thank you all for the info. you hav have given me if you ever want to take a rookie along to show the ropes let me if your in central ohio but thanks again more info the better thank you.:big_smile:

11. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Greys are pretty fun to call in. Usually they come in on a dead run and dont let up till they nearly bowl you over. My dad and I were in a 3 day coyote contest last year, sleepin in the middle of the day and goin out morning, afternoon, and night. The 3rd night we were sitting with our backs against a round bale and had a grey come from hard to my right. Apparently I dozed off but I about jumped outta my skin when I heard him run up the side of the round bale.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    In my experience if a yote is hungry it will come to call 24/7. Ive had them come belly full before.

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Lots of good info and experience here it seems. I've killed alot of coyotes in my time but never called. Seems a fresh snow is the prime time here. Perhaps i just see em in the fields better. They bout distroyed the rabbit hunting here and if i get a wack at one, hold your ears cause i'm fixin to shoot.

14. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    ive found that they tend to circle wide around to check things out before coming on in. i use a primos double whammy mouth call. and another squealer. good luck.

15. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey another question for you all do you prefer using decoys ? thanks for your many replies also

16. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    It was illegal to use decoys here until 2 years ago. They said it was the same as baiting deer because they imitated the food for the yotes. That all ended though, now you can use about anything you want. I use a couple different ones, I have just an ordinary stuffed furry thing and I have a gopher lookin thing on a tiny dowel rod and spring that moves around with a wobble motor. I also have a little deer decoy. I might get one of the Montana Decoy Co. silhouettes of a yote this year, they look pretty good and it would be a good confidence decoy.