1st time out

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by glenc, Aug 14, 2006.

1. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well finally got to put the boat in the water this weekend. But not without problems. My tilt and trim stopped working. The motor will hum but not lift the engine. It will lift it with assistance and hold it up in place. I am pretty sure it had a leak at the top seal but we got that fixed and put in new fluid but still will not go up on its own. I know I am looking at at least $1000 for repair so I will probably stay that way. Also the boat does take on some water so I am going to have to remedy that before long if I want to keep it in the boat slip.

Didn't really get to do much with the boat as it was late sunday evening when we finally was able to get it in the water. Once we got it in man that thing will scoot along for a 50 horse. I was very impressed.

Any suggestions on how to seal up an aluminum boat without breaking the bank?

Thanks

Glen

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    If you can determine where the leak(s) are at you can get a material that you apply with a torch and it is much like brazing. If your interested PM me and I'll find the website for you. I've played with it and it seems to work fairly well and is easy to use. Biggest thing for me not being a welder type person was to get the area to be fixed as horizontial as possible to stop runs.

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Glen, It is great to have your boat in the slip and ready to go...BUT...I have done damage to my new boat doing just that. I am not going to keep mine in the water ever agsin. The bottom will start to grow as will the prop and it is very difucult to clean. After I got mine clean I noticed it is pitted and the prop is so pitted it needs to be sanded and painted. My boat got to where it was using 50% more fuel and it wouldn't plane out. The worst part of all this is I paid 650.00 to keep it in the water....LOL... not really funny.

Hope you get the problems worked out and hope you enjoy having a boat. I sure do.

4. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

I have been told that before. I will keep an eye on it and if it becomes an issue I will pull the boat out and only keep it in the slip on the weekends which is the only time I can use it anyway. Just thought having the slip would save ALOT of time.

5. kybunniebuster

kybunniebuster New Member

State:
    winchester kentucky
    i had my pontoon in a slip on the river and im afraid it has realy messed up my pontoons its some real bad stuff to get washed off and its tarneshed the toons to a dark grey or black color and it was in the water less than 2 months

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I have heard that Marine Tek is very good for patching up holes in aluminus, and it is only like 10 bucks for a bottle...Good luck getting it fixed

7. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    use slime grime or maybe called slimey grimey, takes that stuff off