1st time on Maumee River targeting flathead catfish - please help

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Howie Ketchdem, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

ALL RIGHT I ADMIT IT IVE ONLY CAUGHT ONE FLATHEAD IN MY LIFE:eek:oooh:
    BUT FRIDAY NIGHT IM GOING TO MAUMEE RIVER IN OHIO FOR FLATTIES I WAS JUST LOOKING FOR ANY TIPS ON WEIGHT SIZE AND BAIT SIZE(BLUEGILLS).WHAT TO LOOK FOR AS FAR AS COVER BELOW A DAM, ARE THEY IN THE SAME SPOTS AS CHANNELS. I KNOW HOW TO CATCH BIG CHANNELS AND DO SO ON ALMOST EVERY TRIP JUST DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT FLATHEADS. i FISH THE RIVER RAISEN IN S/E MICHIGAN 30-40 FISH NIGHTS NOT UNCOMMON AND NOBODY FISHES IT, LAST YEAR IN MAY I CAUGHT 54 SMALLMOUTHS IN 2 HRS AT A LOCAL DAM AND DIDNT SEE ONE PERSON, REALLY WISH IT HAD FLATTIES. IVE BEEN TOLD BUY THE DNR NO FLAT HEADS IN RIVER, BUT I DONT WANT TO BELIEVE IT. I THOUGHT I WAS CATHCHING BABY FLATS BUT IT TURNED OUT TO BE STONECATS, IF ANYONE HAS INFO ABOUT CATS IN RIVER RASIN AND MAUMEE IT WOULD BE HIGHLY A GREAT HELP THANKS MUCH.

2. Howie Ketchdem

GOING TO TARGET FLATHEADS FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER. MAUMEE RIVER IN OHIO. JUST WONDERING HOW MUCH WEIGHT WOULD BE SUFFICENT, BOUGHT 3s AND 4s DO I NEED HEAVIER WILL BE FISHING BELOW DAM AND ABOVE THE DAM IN GRAND RAPIDS. THANK FOR UR HELP.

3. Howie Ketchdem

IM GOING TO MAUMEE RIVER SATURDAY FOR FLATTIES 1ST TIME TARGETING FLATTIES EVER, VERY EXPIERIENCED CHANNEL FISHERMAN BUT HAVE NOT TRIED FOR FLAT ONLY ONE I CAUGHT WAS A 14 LB WHILE WALLEYE FISHING

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Howie, the weight required really depends on if the water is running out hard or not. Here below any of the dams on the Ohio an 8 ounce weight is required most times in the heavy current areas. Above the dams it is anybodies guess, but I would say the threes and fours should do you fine. It will take more weight than normal if you are using big baits like handsize gills, cause they are strong swimmer and really ride the current. Vern

5. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Are you going in a boat or bank fishing? If in a boat you can try putting in off Cherry St. in Perrysberg. Or you can go above the dam and put in at the ramp at Mary Jane Thurston just outside Grand Rapids. If you are using a boat small enough to pick up you can put at Turkeyfoot off 24. The Cherry street ramp will pretty much put you in town, but the river gets wider and deeper there.
    If bank fishing the water is up and wading is iffy. It might be down a little more by Saturday. I like Weir Rapids and the dam in Grand Rapids. If going during the day try wading and drifting your bait under a bobber, if you walleye fish you know how the snags are. My favorite bait on the Maumee is bluegill for flats, livers for channels. I've been out the past 2 nights and caught 6 5# and 1 10#.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    read the regs as far as bait, i dont know them for ohio. i fish the indiana part of the river. we use gills 3-6 in. 3oz. leads on slip rigs, with 40# line. fish snags, holes, creeks, islands, eddies, bridge pillons, basically just as you would for big channels. they will chase bait next to shore on a rise and at dark. if it rains before you come consentrate on creek mouths! dont keep anything over 6#s to eat(pollution is a facter in that river).

good luck on your trip brother,take pics and tell us how you did!