1st time curing livers

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by ByrdDog, Jun 3, 2007.

1. ByrdDog

ByrdDog New Member

State:
    Covington,Ga
    Until joining the BOC I'd never talked with anyone who took catfishing seriously. Everyone I know either fishes withlivers straight out of the tub or worms in the river. The BOC has opened my eyes to a whole new world of info and methods on catfishing. That said, I went to the store today and bought livers, salt, and garlic powder. Tommorrow I plan on curing my first batch of livers following Teaysvalleyguy's very helpful step by step instructions. Ya'll wish me luck and thank you to all of you experienced guys for sharing your knowelage with all of us newbies.

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used someone's recipe on here too about curing livers. Have heard of it but until this place there was never any good directions on how to do it. My first cure was last year and they lasted all year. No wasted livers anymore so I always have bait.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck buddy, I sure hope my post helps ya.

Remember Non Iodized salt, it really seems to help. I think the Iodine in salt has a very nasty taste to catfish.

Let us know how ya do.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    And don't worry about using too much salt; that's impossible.

5. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    I have never done that !!!! I WILL THIS WEEK!!!!!!! THANKS GUYS :smile2:

6. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Can some put a link to the HOW TO!!!!!!PLEASE!!!

7. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
  8. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
  9. ByrdDog

ByrdDog New Member

State:
    Covington,Ga
    Thats the one. After looking at the pictures agian I think I have too many livers on one pan. Mine are packed on there so tight I don't know if the ones in the middle will dry properly.

10. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Now if i can just get you guys and gals to show me where the BIG CATS are around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink::big_smile_2::worship:

11. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Do you just keep turning them until they are dry on both sides???

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That will certainly work, although you should quickly get a feel for when the livers are done on one side so you can turn them only one time. Less turning means less work, but either way gets the job done.

13. purebonewv

purebonewv New Member

State:
    west virginia
    in the process now i need to put them back out tommorow so i hope if i put them in the fridge tonight they will be allright i had them out one side for about three hours most seemed dry i think i'll put it out early tommorow when i go to work before i put my minnow traps out. i'll let ya know how they turned out.

14. ByrdDog

ByrdDog New Member

State:
    Covington,Ga
    I went fishing today with my cured livers but the only thing I caught with them was about a 20# snapping turtle. My daughter caught a nice 1.5 pound channel on a worm and bobber though.

15. purebonewv

purebonewv New Member

State:
    west virginia
    well its done i went lastnight i used creek chubs alive and cut i used nightcrawler and i used the cured livers i didn't catch a thing lol nice night thou so i can't say the livers didn't work cause nothing did i will try again i learned that they do stay on the hook alot better i could sling them way out without worrying that i was gonna lose it. i will try again when the cats are really biting really slow for now not sure why i'm guessing river to low(lack of rain) or still spawning not sure.

16. Tinybaum

Tinybaum New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Hi,

This is my first post on the site. I just wanted to know if you guys who have cured their chicken livers actually noticed a difference when fishing except for the fact that they stay on the hook better.

Are you getting more bits?

Are you landing more fish? Larger fish?

Just trying to find out what the advantage of this process is.

BTW great site, hope to learn from you all in in the mean time hope maybe I can pass some information on to others also.

Thanks
    Tiny

17. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    here is another tip for curing your livers that i use when i cure mine. get non-iodized salt and an old coffe can with a plastic pop off lid. put a layer of salt (i usually mix it with garlic poder as well) in the bottom of it, then a layer of livers, cover with more salt (mixture) and then another layer of livers. just keep stacking them in layers like this until you get as many as you want. then just pop the lid on and put them in the garage or anywhere outside that the varmints cant get in it. in about 3 or 4 days they will be tough enough to stay on the hook. the kitties love em. you just have to make sure its non-iodized salt and garlic powder. not garlic salt. for some reason the kitties dont like the iodized salt very much

18. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I think that it really helps with the bite. I belive that garlic scent is what they go crazy for. But, like anything else. Not every bait works in every body of water.

Good luck if ya try it.

19. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    i think the salt helps grab em when they bite the liver too doesnt it? kinda like all the bass worms of all shapes sizes and dressings lol just my opinion but it sounds like a good theory lol :smile2:

20. TPD

TPD New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am going to give it a shot as well. Good Luck Byrd Dog