1st Post- need a little help

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by east tide, Oct 19, 2008.

1. east tide

east tide New Member

State:
    MO
    Hey, as you can see I've landed some big fish at night, but just not catfish. I caught that on Cape Cod, at 2 am on a big bucktail jig. 47" 40 pound Striper, my biggest from shore.

I live in St Louis and have my 10' one piece surf rods, some Abu Garcia conventional reels with 50 pound braided line and want to start fishing the Miss, Meramec or Missouri from shore. I really like the idea of drifting live bluegills close to the bottom but am not sure where to catch them either.

I really have two questions

1) what type of rig should I be using? 7/0 Gammy hook, 3 ft of leader with a heavy egg sinker above the swivel?

2) where are some safe places to fish from shore at night? I was thinking up around Alton, down around Soccer Park Rd on the Meramec or up in the St Charles area. I'm not looking for directions to honey holes but just a reason to or not to go fish some of the spots?

Hopefully I can replace that picture with a respectable size cat soon...

Davey

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome to the BOC. I am sure you will the feedback you need on this site. welcome!

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. I'm from the west side and can't help with the fishing in your area but several here are from that area. Gateway cats is ran from your area and has a great group of members. Someone will surely chime in and help ya get started. Good luck and again welcome.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Davey Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I look forward to reading your material.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

5. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    welcome to the boc from so ohio im sure theres help for ya on the way

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC this site is full of good info and great people

7. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Welcome to the BOC Davy. If ya don't get any replies to your questions on this thread find a thread the says gateway cats on it I'm sure someone in there will be glad to help ya out.

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    WELCOME TO THE BOC

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC Davey B. Nice striper you got there!

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Davey,

Welcome to the BOC . I wish I could help you ,but there will be some of the Mo boys come on here and help you. Again welcome from So.Alabama

11. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    First of all WELCOME !

What part of st.louis do you live? Knowing that might help in finding bank spots close to home.

12. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC!! Here in SE Ohio the cooler weather is sending the cats to the deep holes, your rig is fine i use pretty much the same only with circle hooks. Good luck and catch a big'un!!

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC. Thats a nice striper ya got there. Use to have them in lake mead left and right like that, not just a few here and there.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC! I can't help you with specific locations, but several years ago, a guy caught what was at the time a world record blue cat fishing from shore at West Memphis, Arkansas. So, yeah, fishing from the bank can be productive if you find the right spot.

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First of all WELOME to the BOC/SOC from another MO. Member. I live approx 90 miles North of you so can't help you much down taht way. I know alot of the guys from down that way fish the areas you mentioned just don't know where at. Like mentioned before check out the Gateway Cats Forum someone on there can surely help you out.

16. east tide

east tide New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for all the kind replies...

Manny, I live about a mile from the arch...

Davey

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Davey.

18. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    welcome to the boc

19. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Davey. Great people on here.

Tom

20. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Your tackle sounds fine for this area.7/0 hooks,50#braid.Those long rods will help you with distance casting from shore.Try a 24 inch leader and 6-12 onces of lead.Try Columbia Bottoms conservation area,or even downtown near the Arch for some decent spots.Shad or skipjack for bait.Good luck.