1st limb line ever set, VERY BAD RESULTS !!!!!

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Howie Ketchdem, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

1st limb line ever set, VERY BAD RESULTS !!!!!
    so yeah like i said set my first limb line i wont say where but thats not important anyhow.... set my 6" gill on a 16/0 king kat with 60lb mono line, checked it the next day to see if i had done any good, and the line was broken off. I was actually excited cause i thought, "MUST HAVE BEEN A GIANT CAT". so i headed back up the trail and seen a local old timer (cat fisherman) told him my storey and he started laughing before i could even finish telling him about it, he said some lady was walking her dog and seen a BLUE HARON hanging from a tree!!!!!:crazy: :crazy: she tried to help un hook the bird, the bird freaked out and flailled around till he got off!! which is pretty amazing in its self (getting out of a circle hook is not to easy to do) and it flew away:eek:oooh: SHE WAS ALL SORTS OF PEED OFF!! cut my line off and took it to some town counsil or some crap. BUt yeah thats my storey of my first limb line which was weds. night. Dont think ill be try that crap again any time soon. i Will be sticking to my fishing rods from here on out....Good luck to every one, And C.P.R ALL BIG CATS.....

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    See my "To use a term coined by the late great George Carlin..." thread in the High Intensity area. :)
    BB in SC

3. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    I hear ya man. Ive tried it before also, and realized its wrong. Ive run across far too many lines (most of them old and abandoned) with big rusty hooks left for animals people, or my boat prop to get tangled up in.

I know its legal, so to each his own, but i despise that kind of fishing.

---

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Leaving a limbline, trotline, or whatever is no worse than the bank fishermen respooling their reels and leaving huge snarls of mono to snare birds and animals, and also trip you up when you're trying to get over the rocks without falling. It's ALL bad! We shouldn't be doing any of that crap, and when we see someone doing it, ask them politely to not do it. Once they get through cussing them out, call 911 and report them. There's always some kind of law against littering or something.

5. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    It isn't legal everywhere, like Michigan. In Michigan you have to have your lines under your immediate control. Ironically, I have seen jug-line and set-line gear sold right at the local Walmart, but I bet they don't get a lot of buyers.

6. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas

I agree with you 100%. This is why I re-spool my reels prior to even leaving the house.

I've got abandoned jug lines that have been in the cove i live on for years now. Pisses me off..
    I cut the trotlines because they get wrapped up in our props.

And its not just my cove, they are all over the damn lake. And I know for a fact that 90% of them are abandoned or placed illegally.

I wouldn’t mind that style of fishing, if people would be more responsible with their gear. Clean up after themselves, and respect mother nature.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    It takes trash to leave trash. ::shrug::

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'll have to disagree with that statement as it stands. But if you change it to deliberately leave trash, I'll agree 100%. I've had jugs hang up on underwater dikes where it was just too dangerous to retrieve them. The last time I went jugfishing in the Arkansas River, I ruined a prop trying to get some. Had to leave the rest and limp back to the ramp at about 4 or 5 mph. I didn't want to leave them as trash, but I did.

9. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

In all my years of fishing I can't remember ever seeing a bird in a limbline. Did the bird try to eat the bait, or did it just get tangled up in the line.

10. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    You know, I've often wondered about that kinds of stuff. The local Bass Pro sells gear for running trot lines, even though trot lines are illegal in CA. Why would they bother selling it there?

Someone who knows little or nothing about running trot lines could easily see that, think it's a great idea, and go out trying it. Game warden happens to pass on by, and you've suddenly got a whole new brand of mess on your hands.

11. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

It's the individuals responsibility to know fish and game laws.

12. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    I don't disagree with that at all, but you'd think that the stores might not go out of their way to tempt the hands of fate by selling things that are illegal to use in the state.

It's just an opinion of mine, that's all. Your statement is 100% correct, no doubt about it.

13. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I have unfortunatly cought a blue heron on a limb line. Learned that day that if you set them in too shallow water the birds can stand in the water to get them. There is nothing wrong with running limb lines. There is something wrong with leaving them in the tree when you get done.

As far as cleaning up after others.............I clean up as much as I can but if i cought someone "cleaning up" my active lines.........let's just say there would be a very heated discussion followed up with a call to the game warden with their boat numbers. I do not tell them how to fish and will not listen to them downing my way of fishing.

Sorry I will get off my soap box now.:wink:

14. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

Everything is about money, businesses don't care about the consequences of what people might do with their purchases.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I can see it, given the way I like to fish live bait on a limbline. I make the limbline just long enough for the fish to be in the water; its dorsal fin may even be breaking the surface. The idea is that when the baitfish tries to swim away, it creates a commotion on the surface, attracting Mr. Flathead. I actually caught a blue heron (shitepoke) on a jug once; and the top hook was set to be 6' below the surface. I figure that a gar grabbed one of the baits, got hooked, swam to shallow water to try to get loose, and got loose, leaving the remaining baits laying there in a few inches of water. Along comes the heron, and tries to eat the cut shad.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well hopfully this one wont turn out like the other.

my take. well bank lines and trotlines are legal here. as well as jugging. i make them, i set them, and retrieve them.

theres nothing WRONG with that. its the ones who are to lazy to retrieve them that stink.:wink:

17. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    :wink:
    We're set up to fail in all walks of life. In Illinois one of the only places we can by thrownets over the counter is wal-mart. they only sell the 5 footer, which is illegal in Illinois! Things like that make it easy for the government officials to squeeze a few more of our hard earned dollars out of our pockets, and tell us "ignorance of the law is no excuse".. If drinking and driving is illegal,,,,How come there parking lots at every bar??

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hell some have drive up windows round here too.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, regardless of what they fish for, or what legal methods they use, 95% of all fishermen obey the laws, are reasonably courteous, and clean up after themselves reasonably well. It's that other 5% that gives bass fishermen, catfishermen, limbliners, trotliners, or jugliners a bad reputation.

20. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    would you like a cup holder sir or would you just like a funnel:wink::wink::tounge_out::smile2::cool2: