1st Kaw trip and 1st Kayak Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Put in at Rising sun and paddled up river to the mouth of the Delaware. Yep thats right I said UP RIVER...WoW don't think I will do that again.
    My first time on a big river in the Yak. I caught a mess of shad in the cast net on the way up. I tied off below a small brush pile about 2/3 the way up and caught a nice little Flat as soon as my line hit the water (10lbs 14oz). Caught him on the small rod using worms and shad on the same hook. then a 3lbs channel and the biggest drum I have caught in awhile, must have been almost 10lbs. Was thinkin this was going to be a very prodctive trip. Headed on up to the mouth and into the Delaware where I found a place to sit on the bank. Fished till after dark and caught a soft shell turtle and 2 Gar...Boooo. The Gar were thick. Paddled out mostly by the light of the full moon and it sure was easier going down stream. Had a good time and got a heck of a workout.

Attached Files:

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    congrats on the flattie, LoL that had to be a hell of a work out going up river in a kayak :wink:

3. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    good job on the flatty and an even bigger good job on the trip up river. i know that area and that aint no short trip.

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Nice catch, that kayak sounds like fun. May have to look into that some more.

5. Dead Red Rick

Dead Red Rick New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Good looking fish sounds like you had a good trip

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Sounds like a great trip Alan. Id like to do that sometime, but I want to go downstream.:wink::embarassed::smile2:

7. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    congrats on the flatty, sounds like you had a great trip,, dunno if id paddle upriver.

8. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Hey alan you need to come try the missouri. As long as your behind the wing dikes its pretty easy. Its just when you have to shoot around them that you really have to work. Unfortunatly the water has been over the wing dikes all summer but they are getting close.

9. Little Tree Rat

Little Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    come on dad "Think with your dipstick!!" its easier to go DOWN stream, not UP stream!

10. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    congrats on the flattie i have not had alot of time to get out and catch me some yet this year but soon very soon i will be on the river slappin them boyz:smile2:

11. zac

zac New Member

State:
    peoria area illinois
    upstream

12. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Congrats on the flattie, I would done the same thing, go upstream at the beginning of the trip when you are fresh, then coast down when you are spent.

13. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Sounds like a fun trip Alan.I always paddle my tube upwind so that the return trip down wind is lots easier.Upriver makes sense to me.

14. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    That was the idea. I was afraid that if I went down first that I would go too far and then have no other choice then to paddle back. If you go upstream you can always give up anytime you want and float back down. There was a method to my madness....:wink:
    Plus I like the challenge...that is why I drive a Yak in the first place.

15. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    I've paddled up the Missouri in a canoe and as long as you can find slack water right next to a bank, it' do'able. I also found some coves that the water rushed out of that were almost impossible. I started @ Nodaway Island Ramp on the Missouri side and went up to the mouth of the Nodaway all the way to I-29. I also caught a nice 5lb channel along the way up the Nodaway. This was a fall trip a couple of yrs ago when i was a younger more adventurous man!