1st Gator GAR!!

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by StuBone278, Oct 26, 2007.

1. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Wow, what an amazing day, at first no bait could be caught in the cast net, then after 30 minutes we had 2 6" shad....started catfishing and within 1 hour had a 15+ pound bluecat on and fought for a few mintues, only to come off at the last second (and, unfortunately, after we saw its size!!) A few minutes later we got a couple of small blues, about 1 pound each. Finally my rod keeps getting hit at by something, and I thought it was a small catfish or spotted gar messing with my bait. After it was picking so delicatly at my small piece of cutbait for a few minutes, it started slowly navigating away, so my friend Chris told me to set the hook, which I did, to a satisfying solid object. It was coming in fairly easy and then right as it neared the boat we saw a huge swirl and my line almost snapped (17lb.) Thank God for drag!!! After a while of tug-of-war with the unknown it made its first appearance, and I almost had a heart attack when the 4 footer ascended off the transom of the boat, only to take off again and shoot under the boat! By now I was completely shaken and was playing the fish in very lightly (i knew it was hooked, at first I thought it was a 5 or so pound catfish, so I had set the hook multiple times) Chris and I decided the only way to boat the fish would be to drop the castnet on him, so thats what we did, and managed to untangle him later. I cleaned him of what I could and ate some this afternoon, didn't have time to make gar-balls, but pan-fried it and it wasn't too bad. I'll quit writing now.. (30 pounds) picture!!:big_smile::big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    nice catch , do y'all eat those gars ? when i lived in FL back in my youth my dad would catch those once in awhile but i don't recall him ever bringing home to eat . just wondering what ya do with'em .

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    they are really good eating!!

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Thats a great first gar!!

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice fish,Stu. Thanks for the pics

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Nice gar man. Sounds like quite the fishing trip! Thanks for pics.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I like to color of him, nice catch. And I bet he did fight ya good.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Nice catch have never caught one of those seems fun. I am with Jimmy i like the coloring of it. What type of gear you used spinning or bait casting?

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Thanks yall, it was actually a catfishing setup on a bass pole....17lb test, 4/0 bass hook, "donut weight" about 2 feet up (no roll, sort of), no leader line, baitcaster. It is really amazing that the fish didn't cut the line, even with it's scales because they are sharp if you brush against them the wrong way!!:crazy:

Also, if you look a little before the eye in the picture you can see the hook off the top of its snout.

10. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Thats a nice gar.They are a lot of fun the catch.

11. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    nice color didnt know they where pink

12. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Nice picture and great story. Thanks for sharing

13. part time catman

part time catman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats a nice longnose gar .The gator gar have shorter snouts and are the only gar with a double row of teeth.
    congrats man....

14. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    No, this is definately a gator gar, trust me. The snout was about 4" across the top and 6" across the head. The teeth were double-rowed on the top.

15. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    yheah the longnose gar have realy long skinny snouts

16. part time catman

part time catman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I STAND CORRECTED THAN ,SORRY .LOTS OF FOLKS
    AROUND HERE CALL LONGNOSE ,GATORS ALL THE TIME .
    HOPE YOU EAT HIM THEYRE DELICIOUS...

17. SpoonieKing

SpoonieKing New Member

State:
    STL Missouri
    Sweet Gar my man! I haven't caught that big yet. I remember my last summer down in cape girardeau I fished a spillway where the cats and gar fought over territory all the time. The gars won of course...so I would have to wait till nightfall the get the cats. They actually are really good eatin...just don't provide much meat. ~SK

18. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Nice,scary fish. Must add something when they can bite ya' back.

19. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Congrats on the gar and thanks for sharing your story and pic.

20. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    The pinkishness is from it's tail bleeding...it wasn't originally that color right out of the water. He cut himself up good flipping around the boat once we got him in, and yes it was pretty scary....I couldn't imagine live-boating a 100+ pounder, much less 200!!!:eek:oooh: