1st flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by BigGreen, Aug 4, 2006.

1. BigGreen

BigGreen New Member

State:
    IL
    I have friend who didn't start fishin till he met me. He started comin with me and just drinkin, fishin a little. Well last night he was hammered ( me sober, i don't drink while fishin) just sittin there and his pole took a dive. He just stood there with a WTF do I do look on his face, I told him to grab it and give it a quick tug to set the hook.

It took him 15 min to reel this flattie in, he only had 4 lb test on, it was 6lbs Flattie! :lol: That was his 1st cat ever, now he is hooked for life. It felt good to see how a catfish can just put someone in a state of bliss.

I will post picks once developed.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like your buddie got a nice fish, maybe next time he'll sober up and fish.

3. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Good job guys...I bet it looked like a shark to him:lol: Make sure he joins the brotherhood and keep it up!!!

4. BigGreen

BigGreen New Member

State:
    IL
    When he first saw it break the surface He said it was at least 50lbs:lol:.

He would join if he had a computer.

sober is not in his vocabulary.:lol:

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Good job , sober or not .
    Brian

6. BigGreen

BigGreen New Member

State:
    IL
    We went again sat. Night and my buddies little boy came along, he is 6, and that little guy skunked everyone but me w/ a 4lbs flathead.

I got 2 2lbs channels and a drum.

My step dad had a monster by the spillway. He had on 12lbs test and was using dip bait (the only thing that seems to be working this year) Well he gets a monster bite and is fighting it but the fish is taking him right up to the concrete spill way. We run down the side of the bank and go on the oposite side of the spillway ( water is low so it is dry) Me and my buddy push him up to the top, scraping elbows, knees and wrist in the process. Just to find out the line is getting frayed. The fish Snaps the line and we all just sit there....

I hate the ones that get away.:beat_brick::choler:

7. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I guess it`s time to "upgrade" on that line...Thanks for keeping us updated on the fishing conditions in Illinois.I just happened to catch my first Flattie last night also.

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Oh, bliss me, bliss me...:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Believe your beliefs and doubt your doubts.

9. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    I got my first flathead last year, I know how he feels. Congrats.

10. BigGreen

BigGreen New Member

State:
    IL
    Hoe big? and where?

11. BigGreen

BigGreen New Member

State:
    IL
    Went again last night, man I fish alot, His little boy caught a 9lbs drum!!! Never seen a drum that big. I got a 7lb channel and a freakin turtle. His other boy caught a small channel.

If ya go to lake bloomington I suggest Dip Bait, I have been usin premo blood bait it seems to work the best. The nightcrawlers are ok too.

12. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Tell your friend Good job, maybe next time he will catch a bigger one