1st Fish of 2008!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Pennsylvaniacatchaser, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have a superstition that if I catch a fish on New Years Day it brings me good luck throughout the year! So I always try to make it out on New Years Day somewhere to at least catch a Bluegill or something to get the year off to a good start! :eek:oooh: Today I'm watching the Pittsburgh Pens vs Buffalo Sabs outdoor winter classic game and its lasting much longer than I thought. The game is going into OT and I decide to head to the river now or I am going to not get that 1st fish of the year. So I get to my spot at 4:45 PM and its snowing and the wind is howling and man this is going to be tough! Good luck was on my side and I pulled in a small Walleye about 11" and a bit later another about the same size! So I was able to keep my New Years Day thing going! the fish were small but that didn't matter, I'm on the 2008 scoreboard! :cool2: Happy New Year to all my B.O.C. brothers & sisters! :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good deal my friend! Last year I lost a huge cat on new years day and had bad luck for the nexr 6 months.

3. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    Nice fish and story Scott!! I always try to head out on new years eve to catch my last fish of the year. I wrapped up 2007 with one of the best looking rainbows I have ever seen that measured in at a respectable 14 inches out of deer lakes. Best of luck in the new year!! and remeber There will be days when the fishing is better than your greatest expectaions and there will be days when it is worse. Either is a gain over staying home!!

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    No Fair! I got skunked.
    Same conditions, cold and windy.

5. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa
    Way to get on the scoreboard and start things off in the right direction. We had a relatively mild day in E. PA. Here's my report from today that I posted on another forum. Water temp was 38 degrees.

"I got my '08 smallies out of the way as well. Fished the second shift
    in the afternoon. Landed 5 and lost 2. The first 4 were all cookie
    cuttter 12-14"ers and the last was the biggun @ just over 19" on the
    golden rule. All on hair and, as curt said, the bite was subtle.

first couple of the year:

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd287/mtrmatt/matt554.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd287/mtrmatt/matt553.jpg

19"
    http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd287/mtrmatt/matt552.jpg

The river was pretty active today w/ a pair osprey landing on some
    limbs right above me and a doe swimming across the river only to find
    the bank too steep, so she made a U turn after falling back in the
    water. I had a nice buck dart in front of the truck on the ride home
    too. Good thing I saw it coming.
    Matt"

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Nice Smallmouths Matt! Way to get the New Year started! :cool2:

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The streak is alive! LOL! Way to go and thanx for sharein. So who won the game? LOL!

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    gonna be a while before i get one cuz its 2 degrees here. if there biting it aint gonna be on my lure.

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Way to go guy's that's a great way to start the new year:big_smile:

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Way to go, I didn't get one bite. Oh well theirs always this upcoming weekend.

11. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Pennsylvaniacatchaser

I am sorry but you got to catch a catfish, for that luck to work, lets see, We will give you a deadline of two weeks from today to catch a catfish over 10 #s if you do that you will get your PB this year oiver 60#, I can see it happening to you big guy.. Oh and by the way leave them twinkies at home there not good for you !! LMAO

Congratulations of the walleye. What is snow anyway ? :crazy:

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    :smile2:LMAO! If I knew catching a 10# Cat in the next couple weeks would bring me a 60# Cat later in the year I would camp at the river the next couple weeks and try like crazy to get that 10#'er. What is snow? You've been away from Pa for too long! Yeah that Walleye was the size of a twinkie! :crazy: :wink: :roll_eyes: :smile2:

13. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Very cool New Years Day tradition!

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on the New Years day fish. We usually try to go New Years day. Me and Big Sam had a skip fishing trip planned and let the weather man scare us off. They called for high winds all night Monday and all day Tuesday and 30's for a high New Years day. The wind didn't get up until around noon so we should have went. Next time we will let the weather run us off and not the @#^%!*& weather man:wink::smile2:.

15. Brucegusmc

Brucegusmc New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah I gave it a try New Years day but all i got a couple decent strikes. My lucky spot didnt do so well I guess its not gona be a good Year.

16. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Nope, you are looking at it all wrong.

We were out fishing on the first. That has to be a good sign!:smile2:

17. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Good New years tradition Scott. I also made sure to get out the 1st this year and caught two nice trout. Have hit the creek a few times this year and have had good success.