1st ever trip to the OH

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Jesus Saves, Sep 6, 2019.

1. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the report Dan. Sorry about the skunk but that is fishing. Especially this time of year.

tight lines

Jesus Saves likes this.
  2. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Hate to hear anyone getting skunked. I have been watching winter time blue catfishing on the Ohio U-tubes, I appears (at least from the videos) that if you can locate winter time blues it's likely you are going to locate a bunch of them and have a really good day, I am just too lazy to get the boat out of the barn and go.

Jesus Saves likes this.

3. pikeintheboat

pikeintheboat Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    South Central Indiana
    Name:
    Matt
    Been seeing lots of videos being shot in feeder creeks. Dan, I'd look for spots that have some sort of pinch point or a place that might force fish to pass your baits.

Matt

4. Jesus Saves

Jesus Saves Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Dan
    Thanks Matt
    There’s only one feeder creek in that whole area and it’s about a foot deep haha we did fish the mouth of it because we marked some fish there and Stacee got a couple bites but no serious takers.
    I lost my anchor at the 1st spot so anchoring where we wanted wasn’t an option after that. Dummy me didn’t have a spare...
    So it was a skunk and a fail haha

pikeintheboat likes this.
  5. Jesus Saves

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Dan
    With no anchor - We did some dragging with the Larry muse type rigs again and I have to say those things go thru some brush!!! I have no idea yet how to tell when you actually have a bite on them vs just snagging and bouncing back but I will say they go thru the brush like nothing else!

typer181 and pikeintheboat like this.
  6. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    In my experience a bite will be much more violent, most times we can actually feel it throughout the aluminum boat. I do get fooled once in awhile but for the most part there will be little doubt weather it is dragging through structure or being attacked by a big blue.

Jesus Saves likes this.
  7. Jesus Saves

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Dan
    Thanks Jay
    I’ve only caught a couple on them far so very little experience with what it should look like. One little blue which was obvious and one 10lb blue that I didn’t know was on there. Thought I had a stick until he got to the boat. My guess is he was there on the a while and worn out by the time I started reeling or he was simply lazy haha
    As well as they work my guess is I will be getting of practice with them

8. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Jay is right. A hit on a dragon rig is just that. you rod will bend like you snagged a log but there will be a fish on the other end. No nibbles just hard takedowns.

I watch a lot of videos and the Tennessee has a lot od tributaries. Actually one right after another. That is because when they damed up the Tennessee, the raised the water level a lot. What was a creek then is now a 10 foot wide bay with houses all around it. The Ohio isn't at all like that. Very few sizable tributaries.

Jesus Saves likes this.