1st ever trip to the OH

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Jesus Saves, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Jesus Saves

Jesus Saves Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Dan
    Since I can’t make the gathering... we are taking our 1st river trip tomorrow. Heading to Charlestown ramp...
    Plan to mainly scout but I’ll have to put some lines out a few times.
    Reading the books for this time of year and conditions my understanding is to look in the slack water or side current streams - does that sound right? Deeper holes in the day...
    Found this place on navionics, I’m guessing If has structure it will hold fish?

Attached Files:

2. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Good luck Dan.
    Hope you can get into some of them blues.

Jesus Saves likes this.

3. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Not sure which pool you will be in, but, when the river is at pool (15 ft. at Shawneetown, Il.) the whole river may be slack. Our preferred method of fishing is drifting and we have had days where a slight breeze was pushing our boat up upstream. What has been working best for us the past month is to find a ledge where there is a steep drop off, ideally we would like to drift it with two rods on the up side and two on the down side but I am not precise enough a pilot to manage that. We haven't been catching Blues of any size in less than 25 ft. of water so if you can find a drop that goes from 25 to 30 or more I would give it a try. I fished the Ohio for the first time 35 years ago, been addicted ever since. Good Luck.

Jesus Saves, twaskom and eastforker like this.
  4. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Some good information From Jay there Dan. Jay, he is going just up from Louisville. You mapped area looks good. Well worth trying. I also like to drift the drop-offs and also can't do high on one side and low on the other so I usually try to make two passes. One on the top and then one along the bottom of a ledge.

I like 25 to 35 ft of water.

When the current it so slight that the wind is blowing you upstream, If you have the right dragging setup, you can use a trolling motor to drag baits slowly down stream.

Hope you have a great day.
    tight lines

Jesus Saves likes this.
  5. Jesus Saves

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Dan
    Thanks guys! Great info!
    Spent most of the day just running the river and sight seeing but anchored a couples times on structure with no bites and checked my messages - got your info and switched it up.
    Pulled this guy out of 42’ water on a flat next to the ledge...
    Not a monster but it’s my PB so I’m very tickled with him and to you guys for the advice!
    17.3 lbs 33” he got his revenge by wrapping himself around all 3 of my lines. Gotta love braid all twisted together haha
    He was the only one in the boat today but he smelled a lot better than a skunk on my first river trip haha
    Most all the gear worked as it should - those 8 oz no rolls seem to have a habit of getting into trouble but other than that the river at present is so slack it’s pretty much like fishing Monroe. Well Monroe with barges I reckon...
    A lot of pleasure boats this afternoon which made drifting feel more like riding a bronco. I usually fish the no wake zone so wasn’t used to that but we figured it out.
    Marked several good spots and Lord willing since I can’t make the gathering we will back down there in a couple weeks for another try.
    Thanks again guys for passing on all your knowledge - you guys are great!

Attached Files:

6. Jesus Saves

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Dan
    While I’m at it a couple more pics below. On the sonar I’ve not seen a bottom like that. I thought at first it may be sand ripples by current? But I also thought it looks like a hard bottom? Everytime I found this there seemed to be fish on it... those spots seemed to be small and few of them.

The down image pic I thought was crappie - your ideas?
    Gotta love mega...

Attached Files:

7. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Hey Dan, glad you got one on your first outing. That makes it a successful first big river trip. And you gained some good experience. And just think what it did as a balancing exercise. I like the weekdays much better. A lot less traffic so the human bobber feeling isn't so bad. It does get like a big lake a lot of the time. Of course high water makes it different but it is generally still smooth. When the wind gets up and is coming from the same direction the river flows, things get rough. That is when you have to decide what is best.

tight lines

Jesus Saves likes this.
  8. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    As far as the twisted up braid goes, sometimes it is easier to just cut the lines at the top of the swivel, pull the line free one at a a time and retie.

Jesus Saves likes this.
  9. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Congratulations Dan on the pb blue.

Brackish*Water and Jesus Saves like this.
  10. Thunder head

Thunder head Well-Known Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Steven
    Congrats on a new PB!

Brackish*Water and Jesus Saves like this.
  11. Jesus Saves

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Dan
    Lord willing we’re heading back down to the river Saturday.
    The navionics just south of 6 mile island looks good. We didn’t make it that far downstream last trip. But it looks like there are some good humps surrounded by 35 - 40’ water.
    All that area in thru there looks like good area to drift. Looks like nice steeper sides all thru there like you all talked about.
    I can’t seem to hold the line straight enough to drift one side high and low either. The wind isnt constant enough. The more time I spend looking at the screen and adjusting the TM the less time watching rods. So yep two trips I reckon.
    Hopefully the Lord will put another good one in the boat!

12. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Sounds like a plan Dan. It is always hard to hold right on a drop off. The fish will usually be biting on the top edge in my experience but that said I check deeper side also. The big thing is to keep watching the depth and adjusting your reels to keep the bait within something like 5 feet or closer to the bottom. I like about 2 feet when the bottom is somewhat level.

I have not fished that pool on the Ohio yet so I can’t help much on places to try. If you were fishing out of Brandenburg, I could help some.

Tight lines

Jesus Saves likes this.
  13. Jesus Saves

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Dan
    Thanks Tom I appreciate it. I’ll find some spots and when you do go there I’ll finally be able to give you some tips and return some of the favors I owe you!

14. pikeintheboat

pikeintheboat Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    South Central Indiana
    Name:
    Matt
    Dan-

Good luck this weekend. The river was very slow for us but the fish still were biting. And watch out for the Barge Captains that like to use their spotlights on fisherman......

Matt

Jesus Saves likes this.
  15. Jesus Saves

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Dan
    Thanks Matt
    I’m smart enough to give those guys plenty of room. I suppose I wouldn’t want their job trying to pilot that big barge down the river and not run over people. I assume their just making sure we are staying safely out of the way... seems to me that would be a nerve racking job!

pikeintheboat likes this.
  16. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Jon and I were drifting but well out of the way. As a matter of fact, I have fished that area many many times and the barges always stay on the Kentucky side. We were way over on the Indiana side. The barge Captain coming down river put his biggest light on us and kept it there what seemed like 15 minutes. He knew he wouldn’t even get close to us but he just wanted to be a pain. They have radar and know exactly where we are. Eric and Reese were off to the side watching. We were silhouetted so well, I told the guys later I was thinking about doing shadow puppets where our images were on the bank. Jon put on his sun glasses. I was expecting him to break out the suntan lotion any minute. There not always just being careful. But you just never remember to bring the torpedo when you need it.

17. pikeintheboat

pikeintheboat Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    South Central Indiana
    Name:
    Matt
    Oh yeah, they really have to know their stuff to Captain a barge. Winston and I got ran off of a spot by one on Saturday evening. He came out(after blinding us) and asked to move and we quickly did so. Those things are huge. Such an interesting part of river life that you don't notice until you see it.

I enjoyed taking note of the vessel names. Let me know if you see the "Papa Fred" barge!

Matt

twaskom, typer181 and Jesus Saves like this.
  18. Jesus Saves

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Dan
    Between dark and 2am I think we counted 8 barges go past last night. They weren’t any trouble but it took till about 10:00 for the pleasure boats and waves to die down. It must be a popular area I guess.
    Didn’t get on any good cats but just enough to keep the skunk smell out!
    Did manage to land a gar. That’s my 1st one of any size. Not sure how big they get there... but he’s big enough to make me pay real close attention getting the hook out haha
    I wouldn’t have guessed the 8 circle would have ever found a place to bite in - he simply was unlucky!

Attached Files:

19. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    When we were on the Ohio last weekend, the barges were one after another there also. Saturday night seemed to be the heaviest traffic. Although I have not fished upriver of Louisville, I think down river is a better choice. Less pressure I think.

20. Jesus Saves

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Dan
    Got restless and had to hit the water. So Stacee and I headed to the OH today - ended up with a big ol skunk in the boat! Haha but it wasn’t for lack of trying I reckon. Good to get out and go with a friend!
    Went to upper Louisville like normal
    Water level is right at normal level. Pretty good current still and pretty muddy. Debris wasn’t too bad. Water temp was 39.9. Had to move some logs off Duffys ramp but it wasn’t muddy...
    Hope that helps someone!