1st ever tournament

Discussion in 'TOURNAMENT TALK' started by steve_b124, Sep 29, 2008.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    One of the local churches sponsered a tourney saturday on Greenwood. Actually 2 tourneys, 1 for bass and 1 for cats. I entered the tourney, the first time ever for me. Took the wife's little brother along also. Wasn't very many boats in the catfish tourney, wished some of you had been there.

We went out of Reeder's at the 221 bridge at 7:15. By 8:30 I had 5 fish in the boat and was culling. All told, we caught 35+ fish by the 3:00 weigh-in, mostly channels with 1 small (7lb) flathead. I hung a good flathead, I think about 20lbs or so, but then they always look bigger in the water, and lost it before I could get the net out.

We won the tourney and the big fish. The sizes were not that big, the big fish of the day was a tad under 9 lbs. The proceedes were for the church's youth group, so I donated 1\3 of the prize to the church, gave my brother-in-law a 1\3 and didn't even cover my expenses with my 1\3, but had a great time.

I found the fish in the mouths of creeks in about 12 - 15 feet of water. I fished with live bream, cut perch and magic marinated shrimp (not Patmansc arm pit variety though).:roll_eyes: We caught 99% on the shrimp, only the flathead on bream. Never got a strike on the perch.

Wind wouldn't cooperate so I ran 2 rods out the back and 2 out the side and used the trolling motor to bump us along. A new technique for me, but it worked.

Steve

2. rookietocatfish

rookietocatfish New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Steve, I didn't know that was you I was the other boat in the turny thanks for you're particapation in the turny I help with the youth group and the money will be put to good use will will be going to the BIG GOD conferance in myrtle beach this DEC. thanks again BTW that was my first turny to I learned alot I will try to give you a better run for you're money next time LOL thanks Again, Ricky

3. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Nice to meet you Ricky. I am a youth minister and assistant pastor at Peace FWB in Spartanburg. Today's youth are our future leaders. I wish you well in your planned trip.

I enjoyed Saturday greatly. I think the gas prices and the weather may have kept people away. Maybe you will have a bigger turn out next time.

Your sign on name says rookie. If you are just starting out catfishing I recommend that you hire a guide for 1 day for the learning experience. You can learn more in a few hours than in weeks of trying on your own. I have never fished with Cris Simpson of Fightin da Blues, but from my talks with him on this board I believe him to be a stand up guy and great guide. He has a web site, I think its www.fightindablues.com. Check him out.

God Bless,
    Steve

4. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Congrats on a great day fishing Steve. Glad ya'll had fun and helped the church and enjoyed some fellowship.:wink:
    If you didn't use the arm pit variety scrimps, did ya use the magic "Crack" scrimps? You know the sat on variety.:smile2:

5. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Pop pop the last time I tried to use arm pit or magic crack shrimp my wife made me sleep on the couch for a week. :crazy: She gets mad if I marinate 'em in the kitchen with garlic! :eek:oooh: And she calls herself a country gal.:embarassed: Heck, she want even clean my catch! :confused2:After a hard day of fishing she expects me to do her work too! Grounds for divorce!:sad2:

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Steve, congrats on your win! I keep trying to tell people about the power of the lucky shrimp, and am glad to see I have another convert :smile2: By the way, my wife won't let me in the house either after a shrimp marinating session. Which is why I have had to resort to licking them before I put'em on the hook. But 'cha gotta watch out to make sure that you lick with the grain, 'cause if you go against the grain them little shells can make for some hellacious cuts on your tongue :smile2:

7. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Pat, do you eat garlic before licking them? I hope you lick them before hooking them for safety reasons. A 6\0 circle hook in the tongue would make eating my sardine and cracker lunch hard! :eek:oooh: I ain't into body piercing! A young lady fishing Saturday put a hook through her own ear.:sad2: Her husband pushed it through and cut off the barb. Could have left it in and called it art.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the event. Sounds like a good time

9. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    sound like lots of fun, congats