1st Deer - 98lb doe

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by TDawgNOk, Nov 25, 2007.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    WOO HOO!!! I got my first dear today!!!!

I went out into a tent stand at about 6:00, about 6:30 I heard a noise, and by moonlight was able to see an average sized buck, munching away on acorns about 15 ft from the tent. As it was still dark, and I only had a doe tag, the munchin buck got to walk. The sun came up about 7-715 and the temp dropped. I sat there, cold and drowsy. *(got up at 3:00 to drive to the land I was hunting on)*. About 8:00 I got a txt message from my guide buddy Scott who was out on another part of the property hunting with his wife, asking if I had shot one yet. I replied no, not yet. About 8:30 2 does and a fawn walked out about 45-50 yards in front of me. I started to put my rifle up to my shoulder when the largest of the 2 does turned and stared straight at the tent. I sat there frozen for about 5 mins. She turned her head and I threw the rifle up and got set on her. She glanced back at the tent, and then turned broadside.

At this point, I need to stop and say a giant THANK YOU to a BOC brother who wishes to remain nameless who helped me get a scope for my rifle. Without it, I would not have taken the shot because of all the brush. The only way I knew my shot was clear of twigs/grass was because I could see through the scope very clearly.

I lined up, took a deep breath, let out half, held it, pulled the trigger, DANG, off she went.

I msg'd Scott and told him I shot one, but it had run off. He said to stay put and wait till he got there and we'd track her down. Scott came and brought his 3 y/o son and his partner in the guide service with him. I showed him where she was when I fired, and we found a nice large blood patch. Nice deep dark red. Scott showed the patch to his son, and then proceded to go about teaching him to look for the next blood spot on leaves, or branches, or tall grass. We followed the trail, for about 150-200 yards before his son said "LOOK DADDY, THERE'S THE DEER". We dragged her out and put her in the back of his truck. We dropped his son off at the house, then went to a ravine where they gut their deer. They took a couple of pics, then proceeded to sit there and laugh at me as I gutted my first deer with their instruction. At one point, they said, feel that hard round thing, that's her heart, go ahead and cut it out. Well, I thought he said pull it out, so I grabbed hold and proceeded to rip it out. Then came the comments about just rippin out the poor girls heart and tramplin all over it. We were all laughin so hard I had to stop for a min to catch my breath.

Anyway, after all was said and done, we took her and weighed her. She was 98 lbs after being gutted. All afternoon I called people while driving home, and nobody was answering. FINALLY I get to tell someone other than just my family!!!!

Attached Files:

2. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Congratulations on the deer. Good eatin'!
    Linz:wink:

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Way to go Tony on your first deer. You will remember it for a long time Congrats!

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    That first one is always the biggest thrill !! Congrats

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Congrats Tony!

Looking Great.

Aint you supposed to cut the first one open and crawl inside of it or something? :smile2:

6. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Let's see, I'm 350+ and I'm not sure I WANT to see a DOE big enough for me to crawl inside of.

7. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Congrats Tony on your First Deer...

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    congrats on your first deer tony!

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nice doe Tony! Congrats on yer first kill. Lots of good eatin' there.:big_smile:

10. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Congrats Tony on your first deer, the first one is the one you never forget.

11. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Tony a big congrad's on your first deer :big_smile:

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i agree, first one is always the best. but, after you "RIPPED" her heart out, did you take a bite? i was raised up where that was something you had to do. think i was about 13 and had to do that. nothing like warm meat early in the morning. :wink:
    gary

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on your first deer ,Tony may this be just the tip of the very big iceberg.

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Good deer, Tony. What size howitzer did you use? I remember my first one. Made a mistake and told the guys when I was dressing it out that it was my first one. Got my face washed with blood. Glad that was behind me. LOL. Guess they took it easy on you, and thats a shame. Would have been more memories.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    CONGRADULATIONS........Can tell your wound fer sound aint it great?

16. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I guess your new name now will be Tony "The Deerslayer" Farrar. :big_smile:

Congrats on your first deer.

17. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    no Howitzer, I was using an Enfield Mk I No. 4. In plain English, that is a British .303. My scope was a Cabelas Pine Ridge 3 x 9. Finding the scope mount for the Enfield was a bit of a challange, but, it worked GREAT!

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations Tony!! You will always remember your first deer. Thanks for sharing the story and pic.

19. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Congrats Tony I'm happy for ya...... Now that your hooked really bad go get that big buck.

20. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Tony;
    CONGRATS on Your First Deer!:big_smile: There will be other Deer in your life, some will have antlers, some won't, but a man never forgets his "First". In this case it's your "First" Whitetailed Deer! I'm happier for you than if I had made the shot myself. You getting your "First" brought back a wonderful memory back when I got my "First" Deer over 40 years ago! :big_smile: For a moment, I was back in time reliving that moment as if it was yesterday!!:wink:
    Ya Done GOOD, Congrats Again, you are now an official Deer Hunter!! :big_smile:
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]