1st day of trout season in Pennsylvania!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by webster_catman, Apr 15, 2006.

1. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    1st day of trout season and im stuck , u guessed it right here at home. im gonna try to get out there later to catch a few. lets here how everybody else dose after theyre first day of trout fishing.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I feel your pain brother. Ive been at work since 8:30 this morning and dont leave until 4pm. I'll see if theres any left after work.

3. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    well im stuck 800 miles away! at least the weather is nice, it is alot nicer 2 weeks from now any ways!

4. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Trout fisherman are nuts!! Last night on my way home about 7:30 PM.I could not beleive people had tents set up and chairs in place at this time.I went out around 11:00 this AM and drove passed the same places,people were spaced about 2 ft apart.This is nuts,I went to where I fish the canal and the Lehigh.The canal area must have had 40 cars there as the canal is heavily stocked with trout.I had the Lehigh all to myself! Got 2 carp around 10# each,and 1 small cat around 18".All catch and release!

5. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

Caught about 20 trout total today, biggest 18 inch (2.5 lb) brown trout pictured w/ 15 inch too. At dusk, i even caught a small bullhead on a minnow :confused:

They showed up really small, oh well.

Attached Files:

6. webster_catman

State:
    webster
    once agai i cant get out today, but tommorrow i definately am, whipkey dam here i come.

7. citori59

citori59 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    explain to me why people will stand shoulder to shoulder for hours to catch scrawny, boney stocked fish. i haven't done that since high school.

8. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

the only chance to catch trout, they aren't natural around this part of PA..

9. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Went out for 7 hours today and did not even get a trout. No one was catching anything. But I did manage to catch two cat fish. Although they were very small.

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Way to go Brett2! That's a real nice Brownie you caught!:)

11. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

Thanks PennsylvaniaCatChaser... I ate it for dinner today and it tasted really good :cool:

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I like to Trout fish but I get away from the shoulder to shoulder crowd. I work the riffles and water that the crowd isn't fishin' and I do pretty well. It is all just killin' time till Catfishin' kicks into gear!

13. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

Got the last golden rainbow trout left in our creek.... 19 inches and 3 pounds exactly. Should be another night of good eating! It was a great fight too.... can't wait for CATfishing though!

Attached Files:

14. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    maybe ill come fish with u brett! i normaly catch one decent fish each spring the last two year were 18 and 17 respectfully with one very much larger one escaping from me 2 times. andf the year before a 28 inch 9 pound brown but 3 good fish all with in 3 days of the opener is great! havnt been out yet actualy just got back in the state about 2 hours ago but ill proably get out after school tomorrow. keep up the good work guys for the cats are almost here but not yet.

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Brett2 - Nice Palamino! You had a real sweet opening weekend of Trout season! Great job and keep up the good work! Thanks for posting the photos!

16. webster_catman

State:
    webster
    finnaly got to go today, kept 3 fish, 2 rainbows and 1 brown. it was a pretty slow day.

17. cjb10876

cjb10876 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I usualy go trout fishing once a year, and that's opening day. I go more to hang out with my uncle and cousins than to catch my limit. We go to the lehigh canal in Freemansburg. Last year i had my limit in 40 minutes (good thing since i got married that afternoon...I'll never live down getting married on opening day!), this year i got three in a few hours. The last few years it hasn't been crowded at all as long as you don't mind walking 50 yards or so from the main parking lot. My uncle's friend lives on the canal, so we park behind his house and walk about 15 feet to the water.

18. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Went out on monday and did pretty good. Caught 9 rainbows and had three get off right by shore. All of them were catch and release. there really was not anyone were I was fishing so I had all of the fish to myself.

19. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    yea i got out yesterday and tonight and had a blast. last night i was only out for an hour before rushing to work. i caught 9, 7 were decent size mostly rainbows, and hand 2 small wild browns.

today fished the same spot between 3 and 8 and landed well over 25 fish, most were 12 inch rainbows a few a touch bigger or a smaller, i bunch of smaller browns (non-native though) and a 17 inch rainbow. i also lost about a 22 inch palomino not once but twice! ah its ok i was the only person fish that stretch of creek. the only two other guys on the creek were about 1/2 mile down stream. kept a few of the bigger ones since they are stocking tomorrow and i know alot of people will fish agian. but give it another 3 or 4 days and ill be alone at the creek agian. the fish ate bread, power yellow honey worms (power bait makes them) spinners and a few bites on powerbait. the spiner was a white mepps and i caught 4 fish and lost another in the first five cats in a large pool. after that it was spotty, bread seamed to work the best, the honey worms work real well after using bread for awhile. and power bait seem to attact a few smaller fish and even them didnt hit hard.

my advice is get out beofre they stock so you get smallest crowd.

20. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    delawareriver - sounds like some good fishin'! Way to go!:)