1st day of Iowa deer shotgun season

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 1sporticus, Dec 1, 2007.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    What a sucky day, My 16 yo son and I went deerhunting this morning, and it started to sleet, then freezing rain. Man did it start to pour. We stayed out until 9am (we got out there 5.30) I didn't realized how bad it actually was until we hit the pavement. Then when we got home I had about 70 feet of sidewalk to walk to get into the house. Those that don't know me I have been on crutches for about 5 years. Mike had put down a piece of runner carpet on the sidewalk so I could get into the house. I'm going to stay inside the rest of day. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
    Later Andy

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Don't know what neck of the woods you are in. I am in Jackson County. It can't get much worse than it is now. Been that way since 9:30 this am. I hope we don't lose power.

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Postbeetle, I live in Keokuk, Lee county is the most Southeast county in Iowa. I have heard a branch break off and hit the roof already, and I'm looking outside and I see traffic but it's slow. Looks as if it's still misting somewhat. Glad I'm inside looking out, and like you I hope we don't lose power. Well keep your powder dry. Later Andy

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Sorry to hear about the bad morning. I hope that it gets better for you. Stay warm.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ANDY, That onrey ole cuss knows where we are believe me.......:wink:

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Andy,
    What in the world were you doing out in that weather this morning. Did you see any deer? I believe if I was you I would wait for the weather to get better before I went back out. I used to do stuff like that when I was young and foolish,but now that I'm older and more foolish I have quit doing that kind of stuff.
    Take Care and be careful if you have to go outside.
    Glenn

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Glenn, nope I didn't see any deer. They are obviously smarter than me, they didn't get out in this nasty stuff. I'm going to try it again tomorrow. Well if you ever decide to dust off that gun, let me know. Later Andy

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Glen you know how these youngsters are these days....jus dont have any sence:wink:

9. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    the deer should really move when that crap breaks, could be excellent time to go back into the woods.good luck

10. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went out this morning, couldn't get Mike out of bed, so I left him. I didn't see squat. The weather still sucked, it was rainy and windy, and the temps went down pretty low.
    I came in about noon, and recouped some, and I took Mike out this afternoon. The wind was really blowing. I have a spot that I was watching, and just about dark 4 does come strolling thru, about 150 yards out. I told Mike to take a shot, and he actually knocked one down, but it took off out of sight. we tracked it about a 1/2 mile, and while we was tracking the doe, he jumped up another one, and unloaded his gun. I don't think he hit her, but this kid is super excited. I had held back hoping he'd get his first deer, but today was not the day. Tomorrow is another day. I'm getting the biggest kick watching Mike. He has just turned 16 a couple weeks ago, and it's been entertaining to say the least. Later Andy

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Andy did you get one yet?I been lounging missed my unc today THATSWHAT I GET FER BEIN LAZY:eek:oooh:

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well Kenny I hate to say it, but I got skunked. The only deer I saw was sunday about dusk, and I let Mike shoot at them. Oh well I guess I can always get the crossbow out. Later Andy