1st Day Learning to cast baitcasters!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Pennsylvaniacatchaser, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    OK! I decided this was the year I made the transition from spinning reels to casting reels. Today was the day I finally spooled one of the new reels and gave it a go at casting! It went pretty well! I made about 50 casts and only had about 5 backlashes! I will be a baitcaster if it kills me!

2. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    It took me a long time to get that down too but I still have an occasional backlash or 2. Once you get used to it, you'll never want anything else.
    :wink::cool2:

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Go Get Um Scott,You can do it Sir. J.D.:smile2:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good deal buddy, I have been using them for years and still get the ocassional overrun..When you get used to it back the spool tension way off, you will cast farther.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Scott! What type of reel do you use? If your's has the spool tension on the side(ABU GARCIA, ETC.) try this. Rig your line with the weight you are going to use, then hold the rod at a 45 deg. angle and engage the freespool. If the weight falls to the ground to fast and causes a backlash, tighten the spool tension knob and try again. You want the weight to slowly drop to the ground with no backlash. This will give the best casting performance for starting out. With practice you can loosen the knob and get better casting distance with the reel. Just remember if you decide to change weights, definently adjust the knob again before you decide to cast.:0a26:

6. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Don't feel bad I am a first time learner also.

7. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Good advice Mark. Thats how I learned too. Now I just wing it...lol :smile2:

8. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Scott it sounds like you're doing good just keep casting it and you will get used to it. I learned when I was about 11 with my granddaddys 3 1/2 ft steel rod with the old timey kind of reel with no brakes and the handle turned when you cast it but I learned.I messed up a lot but granddaddy would fuss and tell me to hold down on the spool with my thumb then strighten out the birdnest I made and hand it back to me to try again.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I learned 'em as a kid. Seems second nature now. You'll get the hang of it soon. I still get a backlash occassionally, but very rarely and I keep the spool tension backed way off now. You'll find transitioning to baitcasters to be the BEST move you ever made. Hang in there!

10. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I am a visual learner I am going to have to watch some one use it up close and personal, I have 6 now and I want o pull me teeth out over my Okuma 302L.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont know if this is right for most but the better reels strung with power pro I have are smooth and sweet once you get them adjusted-my new pole is not a casting rig but it does good...hardly no back lash,once you get it down as tis been said there is no other reel to use.:wink:GOOD LUCK BRO!

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good Luck! I only use bait casters for cattin. Bait, thats a different story, I use a spinning reel for it. You'll love it!!!! BTW, I still get the occasional backlash, Its gonna happen.:smile2:

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    personally have a ABU6000 and an older Penn 2o9. I get a lot more birdsnest with the Penn than the 6000. No comparison in casting either.JMO.Once you get used to them you'll love it.No matter how good you are I'd say your gonna mess up and get a good ol BACKLASH now and then.Have fun and enjoy your baitcasters.Don't give up .Key to me is right amount of WEIGHT used.

14. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I am with you learning how to use the baitcaster. My trustee spinners won't leave my side until I feel confident enough...So i will bringing two rods along with me this year.....Good luck I had about the same amount of "backlashes" my first two times... Me I am focusing on not "birdnesting" then I will practice distance... Seen that I just bought a new combo it will give me more of an incentive to learn..........:wink:

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I remember when I first started using them and made a very long cast that resulted in a nasty backlash. Yep, you guessed it, while detangling my bird's nest, a catfish got on my line. I ended up having to pull the line in by hand and landed a 12 pound flattie. LOL! They do have their advantages after learning them, good luck

16. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I had an old Pfluger that my uncle gave me when I was a kid.
    It took a while but I got so I could cast across the street and hit a hula hoop 9 out of 10 times. No backlashes.
    I loosened everything up and just used my thumb as a drag.
    It takes practice so just keep casting it.
    the best to ya
    just

17. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Make sure you keep your thumb in place to insure a smooth cast... That usually helps against backlash

18. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Kevin, I have an Okuma 450CL "baitcaster". Believe me, I completely sympathize with you on your birds nesting troubles. IMHO, these reels are NOT baitcasters... they are trolling reels, and there is a big design difference between the two. These reels are great for free spooling baits straight down, but forget about trying to get a great casting distance out of them. I've just about completely give up on trying to do anything more then just lob it out there.

I bet that if you had something like an Abu 6500 or 7000 in your hands, you would see that you are actually much better at this then you think.

Tony
    _

19. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Backlash is going to happen don't worry acout it and have fun.

20. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats buddy, dont give up. I dont think you should give up your spinning reels nethier. they are good to have sometimes. I will be adding spinning set up for catfishing myself.