1st Catfish of the year from Pennsylvania!

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Pennsylvaniacatchaser, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I got out this evening and fished the Allegheny River at Lock & Dam #6 (Clinton). I fished from 6:45Pm till 8:20PM. I caught 1 Channel Catfish about 17" on a fathead. 4 Walleye/Sauger on fatheads. 1 Smallmouth Bass on a fathead and 1 Mooneye on a fathead. Fish were bitin' real good. I lost a big fish right at dark, fought like a cat plus I had slime on the leader. It was so nice to get the 1st Catfish of the year plus all the other fish. I was smilin' big time! I'm attaching some photos!

Attached Files:

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    3 more photos from this evenings fishing trip!

Attached Files:

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Way to go pa cat chaser.

4. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Congratulations cat chaser, I was just up the way a little from you a couple of weeks ago. I found a nice spot about a mile up from the Roston boat launch to fish the shore. Unfortunately my luck wasn't as good as yours. Were you fishing from shore and if so, how do you get there. I'm not too familiar with the area, being from central pa.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    congrats on the first one of the year, thanx for the pics.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    tbartek - Yes, I was fishing from shore. How do you get there? Well it's a bit tricky if your not familiar with the area, mostly back roads and numerous turns. If you want to hook up and try the spot let me know and we can pick a meeting place and I will show you the way!

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    good job, good eating

8. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Nice Catchaser. I've been fishing everyday and haven't caught a cat but i've been fishing for just walleye and sauger at lock and dam #2. Good job man. I caught this trout in the river at the dam while fishing for saugers and eyes. I was shocked.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Looks like you had a great time, keep it up and catch some monsters!

10. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Thats a mooneye!??? I have had people tell me about them and I looked in the game book and it didn't list them. Thanks for posting I have never seen one.

How do it feel to catch fish? Good job!:)

11. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Catchaser, I also got my first cat of the year at about the same spot you're talking about. Yesterday I took a chance and found my way to lock 6. I was fishing from about 11:00AM until 4:00 PM. I caught 1 channel cat about 15", a 13" small mouth and an 11" rainbow. All on nightcrawlers. I didn't know there were trout in the Allegheny. All in all it was a good day.

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I'm glad you were able to find your way to Lock #6. Good fishing to be found there! Trout get into the Allegheny from any number of stocked streams in the area. I catch one every now and then. We will have to hook up to fish some time!:)

13. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a fish species book from the game commission and there still are a lot of fish that are not in the book. I have also caught a couple that were not in there.

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Rockjumper - Yeah, you are right the fish book doesn't show the Mooneye. I don't know why but I catch them now and then in pool #7 and pool #5. They hit minnows and crawlers and fight real good. I'm waitin' to use one for Flathead bait come the right time!:)

15. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Here's one I got Tue eve. on cut bait. It was 28 1/2" amd weighed a little over 11 lb's. I got 4 other's but they were a little smaller.

16. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Jigerjim, That's a beautiful cat where are you fishing?

17. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That's a nice channel. Just wondering how warm the water is were you are fishing?

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    jigerjim - Awesome Channel Cat! Thanks for posting the photo! Way to go!

19. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Really nice cat there jigerjim. Congratulations, I'm still looking for my first of the year.

20. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    I fish on the North branch of the Suskie anywhere from Fall's up.
    The water tmp is about 50 to 55 * right now, but I'm sure it will drop now that we had 3" of rain. I was out Mon eve. The first 15 min's I had 3 fish all about 24 25" then nothin the rest of the eve. All on cut bait Bluegill.