1st CATFISH OF THE SEASON!!!!(u wont believe how)

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Howie Ketchdem, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

ok so today i woke up and my buddy came over, we planned on going to my parents house to smoke some steelhead we caught last week... so we get over there and start smoking the fish, got a little bored sitting there so i busted out the 12 guage and started busting starlings(not just for the heck of it, i use em for tying flies) so i wacked 2 of em, my buddy skinned one and i did one, i salted em and so on, well my buddy says hey "you should throw the carcuses in you pond for the catfish to eat", i though no thanks but i will try and use one for bait! so i go to get a rod out of my truck and no rod, looked around the barn couldnt find anything suitable for catfishing with. SO i went to the camper and broke out the 6weight fly rod 8' had a #6 egg hook on it from salmon fishing last year, put a starling breast on it and tossed it into the pond, Bird wasnt in the water for 5 minutes and there went the line, ended up getting a 8lb channel cat!!!!. The best part is i havent had a channel under 18lbs in my pond for many years!!! they reproduced and i never knew it!!!!!!!!! AWSOME!!!! but yeah my first cat of the year came on a fly rod, rigged with "cut starling" and a bobber, has anyone ever started off the year any CRAZIER THAN THIS!!!!
    LIKE I WONT BE TRYING THIS AGAIN!!!! cant wait for cat season on the river i will have a bag of starling breasts to try some night!!!!

P.S the steelhead came out wonderful.........
    Good fishing to all and to all a good bite....H.K

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thats good!

You have one heck of a pond if the 18 is your smallest in there :wink:

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Mickey, Thanks for the story a nice way in deed to start the year off with. I knew there would be something those starlings were good for other then clogging up my gutter.:smile2:

I wish I had a pond that had nothing under 18 pounds in it:crazy::crazy:

Tell us how you do later in the year with the starling meat.

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    If 18 lb is your average you should call it RED RIVER POND:smile2::smile2: and charge people to fish it!!! you would make some money!

5. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Way to go Mickey! If I run out of bait this summer, it's nice to know that more is waiting out at my bird feeder.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mickey you need to catch one of those 18# channels and enter it in the Hall of Fame. I think 14# is the present leader for Michigan. Congrats on the flyrod catch.

7. Howie Ketchdem

hey thanks mickey.... didnt know that. i have one in there thats atleasst 20-22lbs, had one last year pass away that would have broke 25lbs, but thanks for the info where do i go about this hall of fame thing???? thanks again....

8. Howie Ketchdem

YEah I hear that, and 18 inst the average thats the smallest that i knew of, but my girlfriend just informed me that i put that little channel in there last year at about 4 or 5 lbs, i guess i caught it out of a river for dinner and didnt feel like cleaning it, so i put it in the pond,,,,I dont remember this though???? hope shes wrong but probably not. cause that pond has been there for 18 years and had those same channels in there since the first season it was there, and no reproduction has ever taken place with the channels, X- Smokin Joe got to tango with about a 20lb fish out there last year...i put 4 flats in there this past spring so hopefully i can catch one this year.....

9. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    im pretty sure the record channel cat in michigan is 40 lbs, i know i read that somewhere, but catching anything over 20 would be a blast, biggest channel i ever caught was 15 and that was years ago

10. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    who cares about about the starling breast and cats in the pond!!!!! how did the steelhead taste! I wanna hear more about that wonderful speciman of delicious fish meat! we dont get much salmon fresh down in my parts lol

11. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    And the michigan channel record is 40 lbs even. caught twice. 1960 by Dick Latarski in Houghton Lake and again in 1964 by Richard French also in Houghton Lake. makes you wonder since its such an old record on the same lake whether or not they were falsified. reguardless its just a thought but i doubt it. Its an old record that Im sure will one day be broken when the time is right. and fyi the flat is 47'8 in 1943 out of the maple river by Elmer Rayner. Man those are some old records.... it appears people need to do some more catfishing in michigan lol

12. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    No kidding Flootie, our Indiana record is old too but it is a big number!

Now about the previous conversation in this threat, amazing I tell ya! Myself and some co-workers were talking about catfish today and how they will eat anything!, I shouldnt be surprised they ate the bird meat... However I am in awe of catfishing with a fly rod, I bet that was a nice fight! WTG, thanks for sharing!!!