1st bream trip of the year

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by Stevej, May 1, 2007.

1. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Went out this morning for the first time this year for brim, been crappie fishing all the time. Caught 26 shellcrackers and 2 brim in about 2 hrs. and then my TM tried to jump into the lake. Had to pull out and get a new mounting kit but all is now well and the fish are cleaned. I caught the crackers on red worms and the brim on crickets. Biggest cracker was 9 3/4".

[​IMG]

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steve thanks for sharing. If you keep catching them like that you will have to buy a bigger freezer. You got some good eating there.:lol: :big_smile:

3. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Went back this morning for 2 hrs or until the rest of the redworms gave out and my wife Carol caught 32 schellcrackers of which we keep 22 that were large enough to filet. I caught one but had the best day of the year, first time she had been out with me in 2 yrs. She thinks there is but one kind of fish, brim and loves to see the cork sink, won't fish without a cork.

[​IMG]

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That looks like the making of a real nice fish-fry ,thanks for the pics Steve.

5. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    we fish for bluegills why we're at he lake catfishin but always seem to catch lil bluegills 1/2''-1''.cant seem to get big ones to hit wax worms would crickets be a better bait for bigger bluegills.

6. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    These were redear or shellcrackers down here in MS and to me the best bait by far are redworms, maybe a piece of nightcrawler. I was stationed in RI and NJ in the Navy and I do miss going out at night and collecting nightcrawlers. Don't miss the winters tho. I caught some fine bluegill in RI. Crickets are the bait for bluegill/brim here, shellcrackers just don't seem to like the crickets.

7. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I know you take your bluegill fishing serious, Whats the biggest one you have caught.

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    YUM! When did you say the fish fry was?
    Bill

9. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Don't really do that much brim fishing mainly crappie. I'm guessing the biggest bluegill I ever caught was in RI many years ago, don't know the weight. Are you the same canepole over on crappie forum?

10. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Know I don't think thats me on the crappie forum. I have joined alot of different sites over the years, But don't recal a crappie forum...