1st boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by rclark, Jul 5, 2009.

1. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Just bought my 1st boat this week, wanted to share some pics with everyone!! It's a 1984 Sea Nymph-Fish Finder 17 ft. with a 1987 70 hp Johnson 3 cylinder, 50 thrust Minn Kota Power Drive trolling motor!! It also has a Bimimi top!!

I have some disicions to make on depth/fish finder and rod holder set up. I would like to make something that goes all the way across the rear of the boat that's removeable rather easy so my cover will still fit over the rear. Suggestions welcome!!!!

Randy

Attached Files:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Randy congrats on the first boat. Looks sharp and should be able to handle rough water well. With the room and access to the back a rear rod rack should work well, and be easy to install. Good luck with the new ride.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Wish ya nothin but the best with it. Now all ya got to look forward to is the never endin job of gettin it just rite. LOL!

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Nice boat Randy. Tell ya what, check the Library out, there is a bunch of good info in there for coming up with ideas for the rod rank... and other things. Maybe work something up that works on a hinge type deal that will lay down so you can put the cover on.

have fun and be safe!!!

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrats on the new boat. Hope she leads you to where the big fish roam. Good luck with her. SGT Shorey out

6. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Randy, I ran into the same issue that you have with wanting to have a holder that can be removed easily. I have a bass boat so I wanted to be able to have something that I could store in a box till I was ready to use it. Below is a picture of what i made out of stuff I had laying around my shop. The picture isnt that great so if you need more info let me know. What i did was get a seat base and welded a piece of angle iron on it then i have two other pieces that connect on to each side with two bolts on each side to lock it in. You can then mount any rod holder to them. I just used PVC to make holders cause again it was just laying around. By bolting them together and using wing nuts i can break it down and store in a box on the boat. I put a piece of wood on the rest of the seat mount and bolted it to it also with wingnuts. It is my bait cutting board. I then place two seat posts in and set it in. On the ends i have two eye bolts facing down and i use two 1" ratchet straps running to the back of the boat to lock the rack in so it wont rotate. If I am in area where i want to fish off of either side I turn it which ever way any run both straps to a rope cleat on the side im pointing it towards. If you do this and have to buy the material I would go ahead and buy either square tubing or rectangular tubing for more stability. Mine flexes some but it holds good. Ive had a cat around 12+ lbs hit and it held and Kanous and Brad in the Tennessee area have used the first one I built and have had 30+ lbs cats hit with no problems. Plus with this system you dont have to make holes in you boat to mount a rack. If you Look at the Tennessee area and look for pics with Brad or Kanous you will see some more pics. Any questions just holler. Good luck and have fun.

Attached Files:

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
  8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Randy make sure u read poopdecks thread on here [SAVED BY THE COAST GUARD ], not just you everyone on here that has a boat needs to read it

9. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    nice boat for sure should do most everything you need it to do congrats

10. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i have a sea nymph as well. (much older). it is a sturdy boat. they are well constructed. it will give ya lots of pleasure

11. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia

Thanks for the pic and suggestions.. Are you happy with it being as high as it is?? I was hoping to get something alittle lower.. But your design is kinda what I've got in mind!!

Randy

12. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia

Dickie, I read that story on Sunday before I went out of town, he was very lucky that he was as prepared as he was!:cool2: I hope to have my equipped properly and I've been doing alot of reading!:eek:oooh:

Randy

13. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia

It does seem to be well built. But I don't know if your's is older or not.. Mine is a 84 and the 70 hp johnson is an 87:roll_eyes:

14. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Randy you can adjust it as high or as low as you want by putting seat posts in. I use two posts but you could use one. I like it higher so I can stand where my seats are on my bass boat (that fold forward) and the rack is stomach level. If I need to I can stand on the back deck and then its below waist level. I am also going to get a offset post when i get home in September so the rack will be a little farther back so i have some more room to stand on the back deck if and when i need to.