1st Annual BOC Carolinas Online Catfish Tournament

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jan 1, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Catchy title huh? :smile2:

I forgot to add unoffical!!

Anyway!

Billfish76 and myself fished Lake Wateree this morning along with Mudkip and our local friend Chris Nichols. Mudkip led us up river through the fog and debris from recent rains. From sunrise until 8:30am it was really nice. A dense fog shrouded the lake and the rising sun made for a mystical sunrise.

Soon enough the "bloom was off the rose" and the winds kicked in!! Anchoring was a task, and drifting took two 60" socks and the trolling motor in reverse. Going down river in the boat was a fun ride, but when we turned into the wind to head it it was a pounding.

Overall the bite was slower than normal. Ok, to be honest, it was pretty bad. We caught four fish anchored in the morning and two more when we tried to drift. We ended the day in frustration at around 2:00pm and headed home with six total fish and our entry for the tournament being a 21 pound 10 oz. blue.

Attached Files:

2. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Two more shots; one showing the scale and one showing the entire fish. Billfish76's camera had dead batteries so we had to use my cell phone camera! I never wanted a camera on my cell phone, but I am glad I have it now!!

Attached Files:

3. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    We fished till 3p.m. The winds were to say the lease awful. I had a little spot in mind to catch the smallest fish. We sit on it way too long, wasted alot of good big fish time. We've been catching fingerlings in this hole, some short as 6". Well we caught one, I'll see if it will gather the prise.He was 10" long from nose to tail tip. He weighed 0.30 . We had a few good fish, but we've already been beat on big fish. So maybe this runt will win. I had on a smaller one , but he broke off at the boat when he rolled......LOL.....:smile2:

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      34.6 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      26.5 KB
      Views:
  4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Did not catch a fish until 12:15 PM, started at 7 AM. Wind was out of the West, East, North and South at 12 to 25+ MPH. Got soaked twice crossing the river with the cross winds blowing the waves in on me. My Walls foul weather suit is soaked. My largest fish was 5.5 pounds.

5. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Well boys Jay-Bird & I went to Murray and really didn't plan on catch much but a little something would have been nice LOL. Skunked out. Water was rough to say the least. We just give up as I could see see Jay-Bird was loosing intrest in the day. We went back to the hunt club to find the boys there having a feast on shrimp & oysters. So we never made it back to the water LOL.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I tried to get out but things just wouldnt go my way today. 20mph winds here anyway so I guess I was better off at home. Good job to those who made it out, I know that must have be rough.

-Jim-

7. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    looks like a couple of em is gonna make us wait it out,is mudkip still down at wateree looking for flopeyes secret hole with the new state record:crazy: or is chrisblue,the leader of team smackdown waiting in the wings to lay a major smackdown at 10:eek:oooh: and the king of smackdown lately,pop pop aint reported in:big_smile:

8. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    :smile2:AAAAAAAAAAAAhhh there in here , they're making us all sweat.LOL

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I heard LakeNormanBlues was still in his cove collecting jugs!!! :smile2:

10. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Happy New Year Fellows! Great catch ya'll and congrads to all. Chris is gona do the post.:wink::roll_eyes:

11. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey! What a day. Had a great time on the water with Chris, Dieter and Cary. I was surprised that we did NOT get a quality fish this morning. Wyliecat still has the horseshoe as evidenced by the nice 20+ pound blue he and Billfish76 extracted from upper Wateree this am.

We started under foggy conditions. Bait was easy to get...had some secret BAIT X also. I was allowed to pick my spot and set up on a nice hump at the foot of a scour hole in upper Wateree. Our rods were baited and cast out to haul in a big un. No takers. Lots of peck-peck bites. We devoted over 3 hours to the bottom bite before we commenced to drift down lake. We found fish but not THE fish. Got plenty for a fish fry however. My guest fisherman Chris caught our best effort of the day, a beautiful fat blue weighing 6 pounds.
    Water was very rough and fish were biting but scattered about. View attachment 34272

View attachment 34273

12. matt8823

matt8823 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My grandmother has a lake house on Lake Wateree and we go fishing there all of the time. My dad, brother, and I were gonna go catfishing tomorrow, but is gonna be real winding so i guess it is gonna have to wait. Our family record so far is about a 25Lber. But our neighbor has caught many 40 plus.

13. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Well, my youngest son Ryan and I went fishing today and we had a hard time catching bait. NADA! So all we had was dough balls and leftover pizza crust. We baited up and set it out there, all the while thinking that miracles can and do happen. Before my doughball hit the bottom I got a hit. Fought him for six hours and twenty minutes, almost passed out several times but my teammate saved me by continuously pouring water over my head to cool me off. We have no idea what he weighed cause he broke our seventy-five pound scales. All I know is, He's a doozy!

[​IMG]

LOL !!

14. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    You forgot to mention that bull line you have for a stringer, you need it for a fish of that nature...........LOL..........:smile2:

15. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Bryan that took some effort and some work!! Good one!! :smile2:

All of the anglers are gathered around the scales waiting for the last boats to come in out of the darkness. :cool2:

Only 23 minutes to final weigh in. :eek:oooh:

16. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    10 bells
    Where they at

17. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    The judges are tallying the votes and waiting for any server delays. Final results and awards will be made at 10:15!!!! :tounge_out:

18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Tough conditions were faced by all anglers in the 1st Annual BOC Carolinas Catfish Tournament. High winds kept many anglers off the water, and those that ventured out faced blustery conditions.

Overall it was a fun event with a good many folks participating. Under better conditions we would probably have had more boats fishing.

Here is the final tally.

Big Fish
    Wyliecat and Billfish76....21 pounds 10 oz.

Smallest Fish
    Mudhole Kid.....0.30 pounds

Guess the Winning Weight
    MartyGreen with a guess of 22 pounds

Calcutta
    Mudkip with Wyliecat

All protest must be filled by 11:00pm today!! :tounge_out:

19. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Sorry for the delay, my screen kept sayin Data error or somethin and it prevented me from gettin on.We didnt have nothin to compete with Wylie's and Billfish's 21 lbr.

We (me, Pop Pop and Droptine77) fshed Murray around Shull island and started out anchoring and caught a few.The wind really got goin good and the boat started twistin to much so we started driftin.We ended up with a good mess of chunky little blues from 7 to 10 lbs.

This little contest was fun and it shows what this site is all about and thats fun.We need to do it again soon.

20. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    It was a fun day on the lake, just wish the winds had cooperated with us. Like Chris said we need to do it again...