1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by michiganwhitetailRLM, Jun 8, 2008.

1. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Was really hopeing someone could give me some advice. My grandprix has a 3800 in it. I take very good care of this car since its my only one. Out of the blue coming home from church 2day, it started making a noise like a bearing was gone in a pully. We pulled into an auto parts store parking lot and was told by on of the employees that my harmonic balancer was shot. The clanging noise goes away as i step on the gas but is consistent as i idle and worse when i turn the steering wheel. Fience and i cant afford to take it to a shop so any advice at all would be a blessing.......thanks.

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Can you tell by listening to it with the hood open where it may be coming from? Are you running with a/c on?

3. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    My A/C dose'nt work so I never turn it on. The rubber on the harmonic balancer is tore up but I cant figure out why the noise goes away as I give it gas and sounds horrible as I make a turn and idle.

4. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Are you sure its the harmonic balancer?I have never seen one with rubber on it,the harmonic balancer is the bottom pulley on your engine,ck the power steering pulley and the belt tentioner and alternator pulley for binding or if one is sticking,also it could be the air conditioner pulley they are noted for coming apart

5. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    is it a supercharged car ? i have never seen a balancer come apart on a newer car, the older ones did some, i would take the belt or belts if it is supercharged off and check each pulley for not spinning smoothly, they all should it could be any of them so check close they should spin free and no side to side wobble, check your tensioner alsomake sure it is in a straight line with the belt the 3800 ones are aluminum and do wear hope this helps

6. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    Yes it does have the supercharger wich runs on its own belt. All the pulleys seem to be in good shape. the tensioner and nose cone 4 the supercharger are only a few months old. The noise sounds like it could be coming from in between the ac and harmonic balancer pulleys. The harmonic balancer is the very bottom pully on the block right? Yes, it has what looks to be a thick rubber face between the bolt that holds it on and the outer edge of the pulley itself. I'll try to post a pic later.

7. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I hate to say it but to me sounds like the balancer. They are not hard to change put you will need a puller.

8. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    Rubber facing came apart on the crankshaft pulley. It's causing the harmonic balancer and the plate behind the crank pulley to make noise. I just hope I did'nt damage the sensor that sits in there. thanks for the advice guys....god bless you all.