1998 Johnson 9.9

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Mr Twister, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    Hey guys, I just got a new boat...it is a 1997 Lund with a 1998 JOhnson 9.9. It is electric start and console steering. It fires up and runs like a champ. My question is about the water out port. I don't have a manuel and have two ports at the top. One is a metal type port that really pumps out the air. That one is in the middle right under the engine cover. The other port is a rubber hose that comes out the side. Nothing comes out there. There is a good stream of water coming out the side of the lower unit. Is one of the ports at the top for water out? Which one? Could it just be plugged? do I need a new water pump? This is my first boat and first motor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Eric take you a peice of wire and run it down into the rubber pipe and see if anything is in there. If it is where you can blow thru it with some compressed air. It may have some dirt daubbers nest in it. Was you running it on muffs when you checked it.

As for the pump any time you buy and it is over a year old and you don't know when it was changed last it is always a good idea to install a new water pump and change the lower unit oil.

3. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    Thanks...yes it had muffs on. I'll snake it tomorrow and let you know what I find. What is involved in changing the pump and lower unit oil?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Let me know how hard a stream of water is when you get it to come out. If there is any way possible put the lower unit in a trash can filled with water to try it. The muffs has enough water pressure that it will force water right thrugh the block even if the pump is totaly gone.

As for changing the water pump it ain't that hard. Bobpaul and I have a turtoral on that in here some where. I'll see if I can find it and bring it back to the top.
    The lower unit oil is a snap to do.

5. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    OK...couldn't wait until tomorrow...I've got the itch. I cleaned the hose and it really pushed the water out...probably like a water fountain. I'll try and see what I can do with the bucket tomorrow and report back. I will try and get things changed since the boats been sitting for about 5 years. Thanks.
    Eric

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Eric what ever you do don't reive that engine up while its on the muffs. If you are close enough to the water then back it down in the water with the boat tied down and put you some seafoam in you fuel and put some in the plug holes and let it set for about an hour and the back it down in the water then spinn her up in gear and see if it chokes down any. If it don't maybe the carb will be okay.
    If it has set for that long by all means change the water pump That impeller has taken a set while setting still and needs to come out because it won't flex like it ought to. That is to good of a motor to wast over a water pump.