1997 Merc

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by cats gone wild, Mar 2, 2008.

1. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I just bought a 1997 Merc. 25 hp electic start short shaft tiller last weekend. Everything is frozen here so it had'nt ran in some time. We had a decent weekend here so I hooked it up to the hose and ran it. Afterward, I noticed what appeared to be oil leaking from the perpellor. Is this a result of it not being ran? I need to also add that it was lying on the garage floor for 2 days before I could get a stand. When I put it on the stand it was there for 3 days with no leaking. The leaking started after I ran it. The leak is not continous, it stops after a little while. I don't know much about outboards so any advice would be great. Thank You

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Its probably residual 2 stroke oil that gathers in the exhaust as it runs. The exhaust runs through your prop. My Johnson does the same.

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ITS PROBALY JUST FROM THE EXHAUST

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Its most likely unburned fuel like the others have stated. If an engine burned all the oil that was mixed in the fuel then there wouldn't be any left over to oil the moveing parts...I would check that lower unit and change the water pump impeller out if You don't know when it was changed last.