1996 evinrude 50 hp

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by CATDADDY78, Aug 8, 2009.

1. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i have a 96 rude 50 hp and im not sure if my vro is working properly. when i start it, it smokes a wee bit but after its running it doesnt smoke. just wondering how to check if the vro is working properly. please help me. thank u in advance

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There's a test using a vacume/pressure pump that most people don't have, and the instructions for doing it are in the tech manusl, so I won't bother with it.

The test you can perform is to disconnect your oil line to the pump, and connect a clear plastic line to it.

First mark the line at 1/4" graduations with a ball point pen. After you connect it to the pump, fill the tube with 2 stroke oil. you need to keep the tube up to keep the oil from running out.

Run the engine and watch the oil in the tube. It should be going into the pump as the engine runs, and you'll be able to see the level of oil drop past the marks you made.

3. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thank u for the info you gave me, but just a couple more questions. 1 do you insert the hose into the main hose as a jumper hose just to see if the pump is sucking from the resivoir, or do you hook a clear hose up to the pump itself and fill it up with 2 stroke oil to see if the pump is sucking oil at all

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Put the clear line to the pump, where the oil line was.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    BobPaul Thank's for all the help you give to us here on the BOC :wink: Reps your way Brother,and God Bless. J.D.