1996 evinrude 50 hp shutting down at full throttle

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by CATDADDY78, Jul 28, 2009.

1. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i have a 1996 evinrude 50 hp and i was ont the river the other day and was at full throttle and the motor just bogged down and died. did this a couple of times b4 it stopped. im getting water shooting out of the pee hole but didnt know if it should eventually should come out under the rear motor cover latch where the two holes are. just trying to see if i need to replace the t-stat or the impeller. i was stuck in the mud/sand for a min. please help i can do the work myself i just need to know where to start if even needed. thanks brothers

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hard to say, sounds more like a fuel related problem to me. I would say if you have a good stream from the pee hole you may be fine in that area. You could always put it on the muffs, and run it for a while. Place your hand on the cylinder head you should be able to hold it there for 5 seconds or so pretty comfortably if shes cooling ok.

May want to start from scratch on this one, run a compression check, all the basics, fire, etc....I am not sure if the packs on those things have RPM limiters on them or not, some times when the power pack heats up some it will shut her down, or go to low RPMs. I had a 94 Erude 112 that gave me fits doing what you are describing for months. Turned out to be a pin hole size leak on the fuel pump that was building air pressure the longer it ran, finally it would shut down.

Hope this helps, hopefully bubbakat will chime in he's the man...

3. D.lundin

D.lundin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    do you have hydro-fins on your motor or change your fuel filter

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Did it start acting this way as a results of being stuck in the sand bar. Did any alarms go off? Do a compression test and check all your fuel connections I would take the t stat out and back flush the water system.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Remote fuel tank, or built in fuel tank?

6. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    im thinking(hoping) that it was due to sand/mud being clogged in the picup tube or t-stat, i have a remote tank, no alarms sounded. no red lights. i ran it today with the muffs on for 30 min at 3000 rpm and there were no eractic ilding issues but is water supposed to only come out of the pee hole even when the t-stat is open cooling the motor. never had any problems accept i had to sync the carbs when i bought it and about 3 weeks ago i replaced the coil pack, but other than that great motor.how are you supposed to know on these motors that the t-stat is bad if you cant see the hot discharge, my last motor was a 71 johnson 40 hp and it was shutting down all the time at high throttle but it had trouble spittin water, it constantly spit water, that model didnt have a t-stat, so i could always see if i had a bad impeller, but this motor it just comes out of the pee hole, now it is warm water. i dont know please help me

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    On muffs it will mist water out the exhaust relief holes. Put your hand on top of the head while its running and if it not real hot then you are good to go. Those70 hp three cylinder had a cooling problem any way, the fifties were designed the same wayYou need the move the tell tell outlet tube up on top of the block so it will bleed all the air out of the water for more efficient cooling.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    And, as a word of caution, I don't believe your supposed to run a motor on muffs above an idle.

9. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Never heard that before, but I wouldn't run it for long above idle. Plus, just because it runs fine on the muffs doesn't mean it will run fine in the water. There's no pressure on the prop out of the water, so it uses less fuel. Had one one time that ran fine on the muffs, but wouldn't run well above idle in the water. Wound up being a bad fuel line in the motor.