1996 40hp evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Nedo, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    I fired her up for the first time this year. I noticed the motor will only stay running when the choke is on. I turn off the choke and instantly the motor shuts off, even if I give it a little gas. I decided I would still take out and leave the choke on. It ran good in the beginning. But then it sounded like the motor was flooding and it just shut off. It would start up again but it would take a few tries, and it would eventually do it again. I also noticed the motor shakes quite a bit only on idle. Then when I pulled up to the launch I saw alot of gas being spilt in the water.Last year I had the vro pump changed and the carburetors cleaned, and I did the impellor myself. Any suggestions guys? Thanks

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Did you let it sit all winter with unstabilized fuel in the tanks and carb bowls? That could be part of it.

Pull the spark plugs and see what they look like. They could be fouled. A new set of plugs is pretty cheap and probably not a bad idea.

Next time you start it, turn the choke off and give the primer bulb a squeeze. If the engine speeds up, it's probably being starved for fuel. Figure out why.

3. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    I did not add any fuel stabalizer.

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    nedo my man

have you found where the fuel was coming from? i had a 96 40 evinrude a while back and the only problem i ever had was a lot like your problem, i think. there was a small plastic "piece" close to the fuel pump which was very very slightly cracked. the part itself cost about 5 bucks and only took about 10 min. to put on. had it been the fuel pump it would have been much more expensive... i am pretty sure that the crack was having two effect: not enough fuel flowing-- and too much oxygen in the fuel that was flowing.

i hope this helps a liitle

j.d.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Then you only read these thresads and posts when you have a problem.

Another possability is that your gas dried up and oil took over, filling your carb bowl.
    Drain your carbs, reinstall the drain plugs in the carb bowl, primie it,and if that doesn't work. you'll need them cleaned again.

6. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    The motor was shutting off though right after I had it serviced as well.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    ... then you probably should have taken it right back to the service shop...

These kind of details are important if you want good help from folks like Bob and Bubba - if the motor didn't run properly after it was serviced, there's no reason to expect it to run better after sitting with fuel in it all winter.

8. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    I looked at the spark plugs and they were black. I put in new ones and there was no change in the way the motor acted. I pulled the new ones out then after running the motor and noticed there was oil on them. Is this normal?

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You have a fuel blockage some where. Since it runs with the choke on I would venture to say you have oil down in the bottom of the carb bowel that looks like black syurp.

If You took it to a shop and it came back shutting off like that why in the world didn't you take it back?

10. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    I took my motor in to a mechanic and they said my motor is pulling in water. They said I need to replace my water cover gasket and if that doesnt solve the problem then they have to replace the head gasket. Does this sound right for the problem I am having? These are expensive jobs he said 300$ for the water cover gasket and $600 for the head gasket.

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Would this be the same machanic that worked on it before and it was still cutting off?