1996 40 HP Mariner

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Whistler, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I got a friend that's working on a Mariner. He says it starts, runs fine at an idle but when it's put under a load, it runs for about 10 minutes and completely dies. It will re-start most of the time, but runs like crap til it cools down. Not that these things are the problem, but he has changed the key switch, fuel pump, squeeze bulb(and it's installed in the right direction), and he's checked for spark and it's good. I tend to think it's not carbs, they certainly wouldn't all stop working together at the same time. Would they? I told him the power pack could be going bad, but he says when it happens, it still has spark. Seems like it wouldn't when it acts up, only when it has had time to cool off. Maybe foreign crap in the fuel tank? Collapsing lines? Any ideas?

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Hope he has not over looked this. But make sure the gas tank is vented. He may have the gas cap tight. That will allow it to run for a little while. But then starve for gas. Let it set for a little while and its back to running.
    Have him to see of the primer bulb is sucking together when it does this. If so sounds like his problem.
    Pete

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I'll have him check the gas cap. But the primer bulb is new and on correctly. And Pete, it's ChuckB that's working on this boat.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I had a 30 Hp about same motor and that was what mine was doing. Tell chuck hi.
    Guess you have been down there fishing for Red Fish?
    Pete